How to find the formula within an oscillating data patern?

Dutchmountain1

Hi,

I have a large pool of data and if I graph the data i can see an oscillating patern. How can I let Excel find the oscillating formula?

Cheers,

Dutchmountain

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Welcome to the Board.

Hard to say without seeing your data. Curve-fitting is inherently tricky. You say that you have an oscillating pattern. This suggests a SIN function. The general formula of a sine is:

y = a*SIN(b*x+c)+d

You could set up a formula with those 4 coefficients in cells A1:A4 (for example). Then copy the formula down the rows where your data is, using the x value from your data. Then have another formula next to that formula which has the square of the difference between the original y value and the calculated y value from your formula. Finally, have one final formula that sums up the sum of the squares.

Now set up the Solver. You can either Google how to do that, or come back here and ask. But the gist of it is to set up the Solver so that it calculates what the minimum value of your sum of squares cell is, by varying the A1:A4 values.

But all this is just an outline, it could be much trickier. You might need to worry about converting your values to radians. The formula might be something weird like SIN(x)*COS(x)+SIN(a*x^2+b*x+c). There could be a lot of analysis involved. Things like knowing what the data represents could help. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Good Day Mr.Excel.

I too have data that oscillate between a positive value, down to zero, to a negative value, then back up to a positive value, continuously.

Using my own particular formula, i calculate in realtime the value of the percentage movement of the forex currencies on a daily basis

I am trying to figure our how i can use curve fitting to create a formula that can track this oscillation.

The oscillation is the change of strength of each of the major currencies in percentage value.

Thanks in advance if someone wants to halp me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back