Did customer in one list buy an item in another list?

megera716

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Customer produces and sells widgets (CW).

We sell a report about the performance of the widgets.

I have a spreadsheet of customers with one report sale per row - Customer Name in Column A, Product Name in Column B, other data (irrelevant to my question) in other columns. Customer may have purchased none, one, multiple or all reports.

I have a second spreadsheet of the reports with one CW per row and each report is about multiple CWs so there may be 10-40 CW lines for each report, with the report name in Column A and the name of the CW in Column B and the name of the customer in Column C.

I want to know did the customer -- who produces a CW -- purchase the report in which we talk about said CW. I'm thinking a format like this with either a count or the sum of the dollars or something in the table values.

CW in Report, Purchased ReportCW Not in Report, Purchased ReportCW In Report, Didn't Purchae
Report1
CustomerA xxx
CustomerBxxx
CustomerCxxx
Report2
CustomerCxxx
CustomerMxxx
CustomerXxxx

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi, to be more specific.
You could put 3 sheets.
One with the data from the customer sheet.
Two with the data from the second sheet.
And Three, with the expected result, explaining a couple of examples, of course, using the data shown in sheets 1 and 2.

Upvote 0
Yes, I am trying to consolidate all the data using a pivot or index/match or vlookup so it can be easily viewed in one place like the table I provided. However, I'm not sure HOW to do that.

Upvote 0
Yes, I am trying to consolidate all the data using a pivot or index/match or vlookup so it can be easily viewed in one place like the table I provided. However, I'm not sure HOW to do that.

I help you, but I need to know how your data is and the result you expect.

Please Note
-----------------------
One thing you must keep in mind when you ask a question in a forum... the people you are asking to help you know absolutely nothing about your data, absolutely nothing about how it is laid out in the workbook, absolutely nothing about what you want done with it and absolutely nothing about how whatever it is you want done is to be presented back to you as a result... you must be very specific about describing each of these areas, in detail, and you should not assume that we will be able to "figure it out" on our own. Remember, you are asking us for help... so help us to be able to help you by providing the information we need to do so, even if that information seems "obvious" to you (remember, it is only obvious to you because of your familiarity with your data, its layout and the overall objective for it).

Upvote 0
I help you, but I need to know how your data is and the result you expect.

Please Note
-----------------------
One thing you must keep in mind when you ask a question in a forum... the people you are asking to help you know absolutely nothing about your data, absolutely nothing about how it is laid out in the workbook, absolutely nothing about what you want done with it and absolutely nothing about how whatever it is you want done is to be presented back to you as a result... you must be very specific about describing each of these areas, in detail, and you should not assume that we will be able to "figure it out" on our own. Remember, you are asking us for help... so help us to be able to help you by providing the information we need to do so, even if that information seems "obvious" to you (remember, it is only obvious to you because of your familiarity with your data, its layout and the overall objective for it).

Thank you for the clarification :). I did think that what I provided in my OP was sufficient but I understand now that it isn't. Because the specifics would be very identifying, I will come back to this after the weekend when I have had time to anonymize some of the data. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thank you for the clarification :). I did think that what I provided in my OP was sufficient but I understand now that it isn't. Because the specifics would be very identifying, I will come back to this after the weekend when I have had time to anonymize some of the data. Thanks!

In agreement

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back