Excel spontaneously changes reference to linked workbook

kafka

I have a cell in a worksheet which is linked to a cell in another workbook. In theory the link should update when I open the first workshheet, however the linking formula has changed itself to c:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming|Microsoft\Excel\file name and cell reference. It is supposed to link directly to a cell in a workbook in my D: drive and ,because it doesn't, the result in the cell is outdated. I have manually changed the formula to directly link to the appropriate cell but Excel simply changes it back. Help!

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Afte trying again to link spreadsheets I have finally been successful (though I don't know why).

Upvote 0
No, I haven't been successful. The linking formula has changed itself again to c:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming|Microsoft\Excel\file name and cell reference. It is supposed to link directly to a cell in a workbook in my D: drive

Upvote 0
I gather that nobody has an explanation for this phenomenon. My latest idea is to change the linking formulas back to what they are supposed to be (see earlier posts) then password protect the worksheet. Maybe this will stop Excel from changing the formulas.

Upvote 0
An update. In an attempt to solve my problem I created a macro which recreates the two links each time it is run. While washing up this morning a possible reason for the problem popped into my head. When setting up the links I have always opened the second workbook by selecting it from the list of recently opened workbooks which appear when I click on Files Open. It occurred to me that Excel might be confused if, days later, it didn't find the desired workbooks in the recently opened files list. As well as the aforementioned macros, I have now linked to the other workbooks by selecting them directly from My Computer. I will see which of the methods work (if either does).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back