Dynamic range, conditional formatting, where second character in field is "e"

Rackette

As always, any and all help and suggestions are welcome. :)

I'm very happy that this weekend is almost over, because my brain is full of Excel and it's made me start drinking wine already.

So, in a quest that is somewhat similar to an earlier one, I need to turn all cells a medium light gray, where that cells' second character is an "E". So, if the second character is not an "E", then the cell doesn't turn gray. The cell contents contain data in this format: 6E094L or 5D561U. Import part is that the second character will always be a letter.

The columns are from A - J, the column I need to search and that contains the cells that need to turn gray, is column C. The total number of rows is dynamic.

I have some code that lets me search for the "E", but the code pastes a row to a different sheet.

I've tried to adapt that, but all I did was confuse myself and have to shuffle off for another glass of wine.

-Christine

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Thank your for answering. I know you probably have many other things you could be doing.
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to do anything with what you've given me but, again, thank you.

-Christine

Upvote 0
If you select col C, then on the Home Tab select Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula > enter the formula that mikerickson supplied > select the desired format > OK

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back