How to link mutliple sheets to huge data table

danhendo888

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In workbook, I have about 20 sheets that all have formulas (vlookups, sumifs, match etc) linked to one sheet (10,000+ rows)

But everytime I make a change in any sheet (e.g. number format, or dragging down formulas), it takes a few seconds to calculate.

Is there a better way to have the sheets 'linked' to the data file?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Depending on how they are done, formulas linked to the sheet can have orders of magnitude difference in performance. With large datasets differences can be seconds versus hours (to get the same results).

Depending on what is being done, alternative to formulas are queries and pivot tables. Database type approaches that do not use formulas. Sometimes these can do in seconds what takes efficient formulas very long times (hours).

And then there is VBA too.

Upvote 0
=INDEX(Sheet2!$L$3:$L$4000,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Sheet2!$K$3:$K$4000=Sheet2!$K10411,Sheet2!$L$3:$L$4000),Sheet2!$L$3:$L$4000),ROW(Sheet2!$L$3:$L$4000)-ROW(Sheet2!$L$3)+1),1)

When I use the range from row 3 to 4000, this formula does not work.
But if I reduce the row range from 3 to 400, it does work.

Any idea why this is?

My sheet has 10,000 rows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not knowing anything about it, I'm unable to comment, sorry.

If you want a specific/helpful :) answer, suggest you start a new thread and explain the setup, give some sample input data, matching results, etc, etc. And the Excel version. IMO the more work you put into asking the question the better the answer/s you'll get - so it is worth the effort. With a good explanation of the setup, there is a good chance someone will offer a really good solution.

FWIW, I'm guessing though that this is the sort of thing I'd try for a non-formula approach.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back