Why do I see green ribbon on top left corner of a cell

danhendo888

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
When I paste data onto a spreadsheet.
For columns formatted as General which has numbers in it, it says Number stored as Text with an option to Convert to numbers.

Why do I see this despite the formatting being general?
Even when I highlight the entire column and format the column cells to Number, the green ribbon is still there.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Unless you pasted just values, text formats might have passed. e.g. Type 21 in Word and bold it. When you paste to Excel, it pastes all formats. Use Paste Special and paste as text when then pastes just the number and not other formatting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will have to play around with it to understand. I think it might be causing my workbook to lag somehow.

Another question, when I paste data with 1000 rows and then delete it, I am still able to scroll down to the 1000th row with the scroll column on the side, how do I make it limit to the rows with data on screen after I have deleted everything on that sheet?

Upvote 0
There is an arrow at bottom of Paste button. Click it and then the Paste Special. Or, add Paste Special from the Popular Commands when you Customize the ribbon.

As for delete, if you mean delete with a key press of delete key, that does not clear all of the formats. Select the Clear, Clear All to do that or delete/remove the whole row.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back