Using replace to replace ONLY the first instance

cloud2828

I'm trying to use this formula:
REPLACE("S";1;1;"O")
To remove the first instance of S only. An example of what the column would look like:

T
O
O
P
P
T
S
S
P
O
T
O
O

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sadly, It is necessary that I drag the formula I have down thus resulting in all the "S" being replaced by "O".

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Try this

Code:
=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A2,"S")>1,A2,SUBSTITUTE(A2,"S","O"))

adjust for your local settings

Upvote 0
Try this

Code:
=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A2,"S")>1,A2,SUBSTITUTE(A2,"S","O"))

adjust for your local settings

I'm having an issue actually putting it into my code:
=IF(AND(AP$20=3;AP$21=4;AP$22=3;AP$23=3);AP7;IF(AND(AP$20=3;AQ$21=3;AP$22=3;AP$23=4);IF(COUNTIF($AP$7:$AP$19;"S")>1;$AP7;SUBSTITUTE($AP7;"S";"O"));IF(AND(AP$20=3;AP$21=3;AP$22=4;AP$23=3);"not sure yet";IF(AND(AP$20=4;AP$21=3;AP$22=3;AP$23=3);"not sure yet";"Z"))))

It's not replacing anything, not sure if I made an error somewhere but it seems okay to me.
Edit: Fixed it, if the Range is fixed, it doesn't work for some reason.

New formula:
[FONT=&quot]IF(COUNTIF($AP$7:$AP7;"S")>1;$AP7;SUBSTITUTE($AP7;"S";"O"))[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just quickly looking, your range for the countif is absolutley fixed, in m y formula I only fixed the start cell, the end cell was moving along by row.

Upvote 0
Just quickly looking, your range for the countif is absolutley fixed, in m y formula I only fixed the start cell, the end cell was moving along by row.

Would it be possible to modify this code to replace a random letter instead?

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to modify this code to replace a random letter instead?

Edit: Not a random letter, but a random position, instead of just the first position. Should I make a new thread to ask this question?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IK don't think there is a need for that, I will take a shot at it if you explain a bit more what you mean.

Upvote 0
IK don't think there is a need for that, I will take a shot at it if you explain a bit more what you mean.

S
T
P
S
O
T
T
P
P
P
T
S
O
T
O
T
S
S
S
O
O
T
O
S

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
I have this column of letters, I need to sort them such that there are 6 P's, 4 T's, 5 S's and 7 O's. The method I used to do that was not dynamic therefore if the size was to increase and a new number of P's, S's, O's and T's is needed, my code would not be able to do it. I would also want to have a table where you can change the amount of each letter is required. I'm basically trying to create a generator. For the first part, what I did was not make it random but have it that for each consecutive column, it will replace the 1st, 2nd, 3rd letter appropriately etc. That is what I need to do, I just need to figure out a way to sort the data in such a way that it can rewrite the requirements for the column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back