Conditional Format of Cell Range "A" Based on Value of Cell Range "B"

mtyrrell13

Board Regular
I have a need to apply conditional formatting to a range of cells based on the value of a corresponding value in another range. I have managed to do this for a single cell, but can not figure out how to apply it to the range

below is the formula that works on a single cell

=$J$7<TODAY()-30

however I need to apply it to

This is the Cell range "A" that I need to format based on the Date value in Cell Range "B"
=$A$7:$A$17,$F$7:$F$17,$K$7:$K$17,$P$7:$P$17,$U$7:$U$17,$A$23:$A$33,$F$23:$F$33,$K$23:$K$33,$P$23:$P$33,$U$23:$U$33

This is Cell Range "B" and contains dates corresponding to names in Cell Range A, I need to format Cell Range A if one of these dates is greater than 60,30, 14 days
=$E$7:$E$17,$J$7:$J$17,$O$7:$O$17,$T$7:$T$17,$Y$7:$Y$17,$E$23:$E$33,$J$23:$J$33,$O$23:$O$33,$T$23:$T$33,$Y$23:$Y$33

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I realized I did not post the sample of the working formual that works on a single cell, I just need to apply it to a wide range of cells

=$J$7<TODAY()-30

Upvote 0
Try
=E7< today()-30

PS
When using either < or > in a formula you need to add spaces either side, otherwise the board thinks that you are posting HTML code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip on posting on the board, however the suggestion provided will only apply to a single cell I need it to apply to the range provided in the first post

so basically apply conditional formatting in the first range based on the value of the corresponding date value in the second range. I can make it work on a single cell but if I do that then every cell would have to have three conditional format rules for every cell, one for format cell red, one for format cell yellow and one for format cell green

This is the Cell range "A" that I need to format based on the Date value in Cell Range "B"
=$A$7:$A$17,$F$7:$F$17,$K$7:$K$17,$P$7:$P$17,$U$7:$U$17,$A$23:$A$33,$F$23:$F$33,$K$23:$K$33,$P$23:$P$33,$U$23:$U$33

This is Cell Range "B" and contains dates corresponding to names in Cell Range A, I need to format Cell Range A if one of these dates is greater than 60,30, 14 days
=$E$7:$E$17,$J$7:$J$17,$O$7:$O$17,$T$7:$T$17,$Y$7:$Y$17,$E$23:$E$33,$J$23:$J$33,$O$23:$O$33,$T$23:$T$33,$Y$23:$Y$33

Upvote 0
Select the cells in your "A" range, then enter the formula.

Upvote 0
not following how that would work. for example cell A7, needs to be conditionally formatted based on the date value in E7, A8 conditionally formatted based on the date value in E8, and so on

this is what I tried and I get an error

"you can not use reference operators ( such as unions intersections and ranges) or array constants for conditional formatting criteria) "

=$A$7:$A$17,$F$7:$F$17=E7<Today()-30

Upvote 0
Why not try what I suggested? You might be surprised ;)

Upvote 0
What formula did you use? The one I showed in post#4?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back