Change Color of Range After Data Have Been Posted

Alex881

Hello.

I am wondering if it's possible to have conditional formatting work to change the color of a range of data after an elapsed period of time.

For example, I want to be able to paste data into cells in Excel. Then, after 30 seconds, the cells that I just posted to will change from no coloring to a green color.

I was wondering if this sort of thing is possible. :confused:

Thanks

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
You would need to add a timestamp that "captures" the exact date/time when you did the paste command, and then use that value in your conditional formatting.
VBA would almost certainly have to be involved.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Is there anyone that would be willing to give me an example of what this code would look like?

Upvote 0
We need more details from you,
Where are you copying the data from?
Where will you be pasting it?
What range should be highlighted?

The number of rows/columns matters, as it affects how we will write the code. Even if it isn't exactly the same every time, it is important to know the constraints/limits.

Upvote 0
I'm copying data from a website and pasting into cells located in columns C & D of my spreadsheet. I'd just like for whatever data I post, 30 seconds after, to be highlighted green. I might be able to figure out the code with an example and edit it for myself, if need be. I think this one's a pretty fascinating example.

Upvote 0
You would want to use a Worksheet_Change event procedure, which is code that runs automatically when data is manually updated (or pasted).
Maybe paste the current date/time in column E of each row you are pasting the data too (if you Google "Excel VBA Worksheet_Change TimeStamp", you should find lots of examples).
Then maybe add Conditional Formatting code to the same VBA code that turns it green once the value in column E is more than 30 seconds in the past.
Or maybe you can play around with Timers or something, and make it turn green in the same code.

Upvote 0
See how far you get, and if you run into issues, post back here.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I've tried to figure this out but it's confusing me. So far, I've been able to manually input data into column 'C' of my spreadsheet and have column 'F' put a timestamp in its respective cell. However, I can't get it colored green nor can I overcome the fact that when I paste data (into columns C-E), the timestamp isn't created because it won't recognize pasted data (if that makes sense).

Here's my current VBA code (note that I actually paste data into columns 3-5 most of the time; however, sometimes I manually input data into column 3 - so whatever code would have to work both ways, which I'm sure it can):

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim xCellColumn As Integer
Dim xTimeColumn As Integer
Dim xRow, xCol As Integer
Dim xDPRg, xRg As Range
xCellColumn = 3 'PASTE COLUMN
xTimeColumn = 6 'TIMESTAMP COLUMN
xRow = Target.Row
xCol = Target.Column
If Target.Text <> "" Then
If xCol = xCellColumn Then
Cells(xRow, xTimeColumn) = Now()
Else
On Error Resume Next
Set xDPRg = Target.Dependents
For Each xRg In xDPRg
If xRg.Column = xCellColumn Then
Cells(xRg.Row, xTimeColumn) = Now()
End If
Next
End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
So, this is the Worksheet_Change code I would use:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim rng As Range
    Dim cell As Range

'   Check to see if any cells updated in column C
    Set rng = Intersect(Target, Columns("C:C"))
    If rng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

'   Loop through all cells in column C that were just updated
    For Each cell In rng
        Application.EnableEvents = False
'       Put timestamp in column F
        cell.Offset(0, 3) = Now()
        Application.EnableEvents = True
    Next cell

End Sub
and this is the Conditional Formatting I would use (first selecting column F, and applying the Formula to that):
Code:
=AND(F1>0,(NOW()-F1)>=(1/(1440*2)))
and choose your green color.

The only caveat it is the Conditional Formatting only changes when a new calculation happens, or a different cell is selected on the sheet after 30 seconds.
(So if you were to add a new entry, and do nothing for 30 seconds, the color wouldn't change until you do something, anything on the sheet, so that a new calculation is triggered).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back