How to return 'string A' if 'cell range X' contains 'strings B, C, ...' and other strings for other conditions?

MrInacio

Hello people,

So, I have a little experience in programming and (very) little experience with Excel.

What I want to do is to have a multiple condition check in a single cell, so it returns one string if a range of cells contains specific other strings, another string if it contains another set of specific strings, and so forth.

An example to make it clearer:

Let's say the purpose of this is to schedule different types of meetings according to people's availability.
There are three types of meetings: Brainstorming, Finances and Marketing.
For Brainstorming we need Annie, Bart and Carol. For Finances we need Diana, Frank and George. For Marketing we need Annie, Diana and Hudson.

Say we have a sheet in which a range of cells represents "Monday 3rd", another represents "Tuesday 4th" and so on; in those, everyone who's available on that day has their name on it.

So, on another sheet, we'd have a formula that'd check who's available on the "Monday 3rd" by checking whose names are there. If Annie, Bart and Carol are available, we could have a Brainstorming meeting. If, otherwise, Diana, Frank and George are available, it could be a Finances one. If all six of them are available, could be either one.

Does anyone have any idea on how to do this on Excel?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi & welcome to the forum.

You can create a following setup:

1. In cells A2 and below (A3, A4...) you have your dates (03/06/2019, 04/06/2019...).

2. in cells B2-H2 you enter the names of people that can attend the meeting> This can be entered in any random order (e.g. B2 = "Annie", C2 = "Carol", D2 = "Hudson", E2 = "Bart"). The range ends with column H cause you mentioned a maximum of 7 people whose attendance will be analysed.

3. In cells I1-L1 we're going to add our headers (I2 = "Brainstorming", J2 = "Finances", K2 = "Marketing", L2 = "All").

4. Now you need to enter the following formulas into columns I-L (row 2 - drag it down if needed):
Cell I2 ->
Code:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH({"Annie","Bart","Carol"},$B2:$H2,0)),1,0))=3,"x","")
Cell J2 ->
Code:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH({"Diana","Frank","George"},$B2:$H2,0)),1,0))=3,"x","")
Cell K2 ->
Code:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH({"Annie","Diana","Hudson"},$B2:$H2,0)),1,0))=3,"x","")
Cell L2 ->
Code:
=IF(COUNTIF($I2:$K2,"x")=3,"x","")

Result:

ufenh7L.png

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Works perfectly.

I ended up using Sums and Countifs, but your idea kicked off the stuff.

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back