Condition in same cell as formula

cloud2828

How can I create a condition relating to the cell that the formula is written in without getting a circular reference? Let's say I have a formula in A1 and it is said to return the letter in B2. How can I make it such that "If the letter in A1 is "Z", replace it with "X" instead" in the A1 cell?

Edit: Basically what I'm trying to achieve is a priority list such that certain letters should override others based on that priority list. So let's say I have a table with 2 columns, one that is the letter and the other is the cell where the letter goes and information can be override, if I was to put "A" in the first column and "A1" in the second column then in the next line of the table say "B" in the first column and "A1" in the second column and I want "B" to override "A" how can I get this done?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
You want to replace "A" with "B".

Excel 2013/2016
AB
1Column1Column2
2AA1
3BA1
Sheet1

Muz

Upvote 0
You want to replace "A" with "B".

Excel 2013/2016
AB
1Column1Column2
2AA1
3BA1

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Muz

I want to replace "A" with any letter I decide to write the condition for, but yes, for this example I want to replace "A" with "B". I don't see any formulas, just the table you posted. Also, the table shouldnt be in A1 because that's where the letters are going, the table it just the input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back