Multiple cascading drop-downs, vba, form tool?

andydtaylor

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

I'm seeking to effect the most robust way a user can to drill through 57k rows of organisational hierarchy in a cascade style.

<ul>
<li>My ask is to create a tool for users to log business services. So it needs to be quick and robust and intuitive</li>
<li>There are 8 levels of hierarchy from Legal Entity down to cost center</li>
<li>For any given service I want to capture the code of the org unit(s) providing and org unit(s) receiving</li>
<li>"Org unit" can describe the code of any of the 8 hierarchy levels</li>
<li>Codes at any given org level are unique, but all occurrences of any given n+1 department code are common across LEs where that department exists within a given LE</li>
</ul>

What's the best way to do this?

<ul>
<li>For capturing the information I propose an excel table I can pick up later in bulk and make sense of with Power Query. I would like the user to log rows where the first column is "Side" i.e. provider/receiver and then fill out columns to the right as required which describe hierarchy (LE, BD, BU etc)</li>
<li>For presenting input to users I am aware of in-cell validation and also wondering if a pop-up excel form might be of genuine use here</li>
<li>Going round in circles at the moment with Power Query summaries of the 57k row hierarchy and indexed slices versus dynamic named ranges. I was hoping to effect something elegant and simple using a column name/cell value driving data validation to a table name. But I feel like I need to jump to a table and filter it</li>
</ul>

A steer on the above would be much appreciated. If I can do it in Excel then I want to do it that way. If I need to do it in Access I will but this is considered witchcraft around here and I remember the front end form stuff being a bit of a pig...

Many Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back