Index cannot accept array inputs

archangel99

Hi

I am trying to help my colleague solve a simple problem on allocation. In the spreadsheet shown in the image below, each of the students has three choices of classes – A, B and C. Each class has a max capacity. The challenge is to allocate students to their lowest choice subject to the availability of max capacity.
The challenge I am facing was not being able to wrap the array made from comparison into an index statement. If I were to use helper cells, the answer worked out perfectly.

qSLHVJ8.jpg

open

The formula for the helper cell is shown in the image.

Column H contains the allocated choice.

Cell H2: A <- first case always allocated first choice
Cell H3: =INDEX(A3:C3,,MATCH(TRUE,E3:G3,0))
Cell H4: INDEX(A4:C4,,MATCH(TRUE,E4:G4,0))
Why can’t I wrap the array (computed from the countif) into the index formula?

I also take this opportunity to thank you in advance.

qSLHVJ8

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
You can produce the same results using:

H3: {=INDEX(A3:C3,MATCH(TRUE,LOOKUP(A3:C3,L$1:L$3,M$1:M$3)>COUNTIF(H2:H$2,A3:C3),))}

Upvote 0
It produces an error. Also, need to count the assigned choice for the other students too.

I'm not sure what you mean?

H3: =INDEX(A3:C3,MATCH(TRUE,LOOKUP(A3:C3,L$1:L$3,M$1:M$3)>COUNTIF(H2:H$2,A3:C3),)) array-entered
Copy down to H4:H9

This reproduces your assigned choices for all students.

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1Choice1Choice2Choice3MeYouA3
2ABCAAB1
3BCABBC4
4ACBAA
5BCACC
6BACAA
7ABCCC
8CABCC
9ABCCC
Sheet1

Upvote 0
... Why can’t I wrap the array (computed from the countif) into the index formula?..
Actually, it's the VLOOKUP that needs some coercing. The following array formula has been tested to return the required results:

=INDEX(A3:C3,,MATCH(TRUE,(COUNTIF(A3:C3,A3:C3)+COUNTIF($H$2:H2,A3:C3))<=VLOOKUP(T(IF({TRUE},A3:C3)),$L$1:$M$3,2,FALSE),0))

It can be further simplified and shortened:

=INDEX(A3:C3,,MATCH(TRUE,({1,1,1}+COUNTIF($H$2:H2,A3:C3))<=VLOOKUP(T(IF({1},A3:C3)),$L$1:$M$3,2,0),0))

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean?

H3: =INDEX(A3:C3,MATCH(TRUE,LOOKUP(A3:C3,L$1:L$3,M$1:M$3)>COUNTIF(H2:H$2,A3:C3),)) array-entered
Copy down to H4:H9

This reproduces your assigned choices for all students.

ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1Choice1Choice2Choice3MeYouA3
2ABCAAB1
3BCABBC4
4ACBAA
5BCACC
6BACAA
7ABCCC
8CABCC
9ABCCC

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
It works. Thanks a lot. Do you know why mind can't work?

Upvote 0
Actually, it's the VLOOKUP that needs some coercing. The following array formula has been tested to return the required results:

=INDEX(A3:C3,,MATCH(TRUE,(COUNTIF(A3:C3,A3:C3)+COUNTIF($H$2:H2,A3:C3))<=VLOOKUP(T(IF({TRUE},A3:C3)),$L$1:$M$3,2,FALSE),0))

It can be further simplified and shortened:

=INDEX(A3:C3,,MATCH(TRUE,({1,1,1}+COUNTIF($H$2:H2,A3:C3))<=VLOOKUP(T(IF({1},A3:C3)),$L$1:$M$3,2,0),0))

Hey thanks. Super complicated. Will take some time for me to digest. But you are right it is the vlookup. I substituted with lookup as shared by StephenCrump and it worked perfectly. Now to analyze your array coercion.

Upvote 0
Now to analyze your array coercion.

Perhaps easier to see if you rearrange slightly:

Code:
=INDEX(A3:C3,MATCH(TRUE, [B]VLOOKUP(T(IF({1},A3:C3)),$L$1:$M$3,2,)[/B] >COUNTIF(H$2:H2,A3:C3),))

vs

=INDEX(A3:C3,MATCH(TRUE, [B]LOOKUP(A3:C3,L$1:L$3,M$1:M$3)[/B]          >COUNTIF(H2:H$2,A3:C3),))

Upvote 0
Perhaps easier to see if you rearrange slightly:

Code:
=INDEX(A3:C3,MATCH(TRUE, [B]VLOOKUP(T(IF({1},A3:C3)),$L$1:$M$3,2,)[/B] >COUNTIF(H$2:H2,A3:C3),))

vs

=INDEX(A3:C3,MATCH(TRUE, [B]LOOKUP(A3:C3,L$1:L$3,M$1:M$3)[/B]          >COUNTIF(H2:H$2,A3:C3),))

Thank you very much, StephenCrump

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back