Select 2nd value in filtered range

dotsent

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm looking to select the 2nd visible value from autofiltered range.

I have a table MyTable and looking to get the value from column G (also named as MyRange). The code snippet below works fine with autofiltered range, but all I can do is locate the first visible value in a column G - .Offset(n, 1) will not make any difference, I'm always getting the first value.

Code:
Sub Select()

With ActiveSheet.ListObjects("MyTable").Range    
    Range("A1").Value = Range("G" & .Offset(1, 1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Row).Value
    End With

End Sub

Second simple code works fine to locate the 2nd value in a range, however ignores the filtering results.

Code:
Sub Select2()

Range("A1").Value = Range("MyRange").Cells(2, 1).Value

End Sub

Am I missing the proper parameters for Offset function in the 1st code? I could probably use helper range, copy the filtered range there and then run the second code which works with unfiltered range, however I feel there has to be a nicer way to do it. Alternative to a 2nd value could also be the last visible value in range.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Perhaps your visible cells are not all contiguous, in which case the second visible cell may be in a different area than the first visible cell.

Here's an example table (shown filtered on col G with criteria "data73") and some code to call out the addresses of the visible cells in col G.
Excel Workbook
DEFGHI
1hdr1hdr2hdr3hdr4hdr5hdr6
3data43data53data63data73data83data93
8data48data58data68data73data88data98
13data413data513data613data73data813data913
Sheet1

Code:
Sub test()
Dim LO As ListObject, i As Long, c As Range
Set LO = ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table1")
With LO.DataBodyRange
    .AutoFilter field:=4, Criteria1:="data73"
    On Error Resume Next
    With .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
        For i = 1 To .Areas.Count
            For Each c In .Areas(i).Columns(4) 'change column index to suit your table
                MsgBox c.Address
            Next c
        Next i
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Does this do what you want?
Code:
Range("A1").Value = Evaluate(Replace("=INDEX(#,MATCH(2,SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(#,,,ROW(#)-ROW(INDEX(#,1))+1)),0))", "#", Range("myRange").Address))

Upvote 0
Thank you both!

JoeMo, that is correct, after filtering, visible rows often are not next to each other (in terms of native Excel row numbers). I was hoping there's a way Offset or Rows function could take this into account, but as I can see, it's not as simple as that.

Peter, your code worked great. Unfortunately still a little difficult for me to fully understand, but it is functional and seems I can adjust the 2nd value into something else just by adjusting the ...MATCH(n... parameter?

Upvote 0
Thank you both!

Peter, your code worked great. Unfortunately still a little difficult for me to fully understand, but it is functional and seems I can adjust the 2nd value into something else just by adjusting the ...MATCH(n... parameter?
You're welcome. :)

.. and, yes, changing that n would allow you to find the 3rd, 1st, 9th etc.

Upvote 0
Try this

Code:
Sub tst()
    ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table1").Range.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="some"
    Range("A1").Value = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range.Offset(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Cells(1, "G").Value
End Sub

Upvote 0
Try this

Code:
Sub tst()
    ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table1").Range.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="some"
    Range("A1").Value = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range.Offset(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Cells(1, "G").Value
End Sub
Hi Dante

What range does your Table1 occupy?

Also, given a worksheet can have a standard AutoFilter range as well as a ListObject filter, that code could put a value from the standard AutoFilter range into A1 rather than a value from the ListObject.

In any case, won't that code only work reliably for finding the first visible cell? The original question was to identify the second visible cell.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,
First, I apologize for delivering a solution that doesn't work.
Second, thanks Peter for your comments, you're right, there may be a standard autofilter and the autofilter of the table.
Finally, if you allow me, I would like to add a couple of solutions, one for the table "MyTable" and one for the named range "myRange", both consider that the table has headings as shown in the following image:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:37.07px;" /><col style="width:37.07px;" /><col style="width:37.07px;" /><col style="width:37.07px;" /><col style="width:37.07px;" /><col style="width:37.07px;" /><col style="width:37.07px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >G8</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="background-color:#ffc000; ">A</td><td style="background-color:#ffc000; ">B</td><td style="background-color:#ffc000; ">C</td><td style="background-color:#ffc000; ">D</td><td style="background-color:#ffc000; ">E</td><td style="background-color:#ffc000; ">F</td><td style="background-color:#ffc000; ">G</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td >some</td><td >B6</td><td >C6</td><td >D6</td><td >E6</td><td >F6</td><td >G6</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td >some</td><td >B8</td><td >C8</td><td >D8</td><td >E8</td><td >F8</td><td >G8</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td >some</td><td >B10</td><td >C10</td><td >D10</td><td >E10</td><td >F10</td><td >G10</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >12</td><td >some</td><td >B12</td><td >C12</td><td >D12</td><td >E12</td><td >F12</td><td >G12</td></tr></table>

Code:
Sub tst1()
  Dim r As Range, n As Long
  For Each r In ActiveSheet.[COLOR=#0000ff]ListObjects("MyTable")[/COLOR].DataBodyRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Rows
    n = n + 1
    If n = 2 Then
      [A1] = r.Cells(1, "G")
      Exit For
    End If
  Next
End Sub

-------------------------

Code:
Sub tst2()
  Dim r As Range, n As Long
  For Each r In ActiveSheet.[COLOR=#0000ff]Range("myRange")[/COLOR].Offset(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Rows
    n = n + 1
    If n = 2 Then
      [A1] = r.Cells(1, 1)
      Exit For
    End If
  Next
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back