Insert rows fails

jwburritt

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello: I've counted rows in file1 and want to insert 2.25 rows in file2. Everything is fine until row insert statement. I get the error:

Insert method of range class failed.

I've tried a ton of other iterations and can't get it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Code:
Dim wb as Workbook
Set wb = Workbooks("File1.xlsm")

Dim RowCount As Long
RowCount = wb.Worksheets("New Sheet").Range("B6").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count

Dim wb2 As Workbook
Set wb2 = Workbooks("File2.xlsm")

wb2.Worksheets("Data").Range("C10").EntireRow.Resize(RowCount * 2.25).Insert Shift:=xlUp

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
What do you mean by insert 2.25 rows? EntireRow means exactly that (the entire row) and you can only Resize by whole numbers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello: RowCount is a variable that I multiply by 2.25 to give the entire integer for Resize. I've substituted a whole number and still get the failure.

Upvote 0
First of all if for instance your RowCount was 11 and you multiplied it by 2.25 you wouldn't end up with an Integer, you would end up with 24.75.

Second when I run
Code:
Sub ggggg()
Worksheets("Data").Range("C10").EntireRow.Resize([COLOR="#FF0000"][B]6[/B][/COLOR]).Insert Shift:=xlUp
End Sub

it inserts 6 rows as expected so if you are still getting an error with a whole number in the Resize the first questions are do you have any sheet protection? or merged cells?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I understand the code you put together, i've never tried inputting partial row. Have you tried, recording a macro while you complete the action of inserting 2 rows, and then testing that in a seperate macro? I usually record my self doing something when I'm having a problem with the code.

this worked for me

Code:
    ActiveSheet.Rows("10:10").Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
    ActiveSheet.Rows("11:11").Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope. No protection or merged cells. My feeling is it has something to do with the syntax of the statement. But cant figure it iu.t

Upvote 0
The syntax is fine, as I stated the below works fine for me (it even works with Resize(6.75), it just inserts 7 rows rather than 6).

Code:
Sub ggggg()
Worksheets("Data").Range("C10").EntireRow.Resize(6).Insert Shift:=xlUp
End Sub

Open wb2 put the code above in that workbook and run, what happens?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks so much! I realized that I had moved a line of code that was copying a range and was active. That help up the row insert. Moved the line of copy code and it works as expected.

Thanks also for the row.count. I changed it so that it always returns a whole number.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back