working backwards from weighted averages

moony

Hello,

I have 3 numbers that were given to me that are $/SF weighted averages. The developer didn't provide the weight factored into calculating each average.

Total Project $/SF Average1st Product $/SF W. Avg2nd Product $/SF W. Avg3rd Product $/SF W. Avg
% of Weight

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I would like to find out is how I can find the correct weight to each product's weighted average so as to arrive at the Total Project $/SF Average of 379.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Sorry, this is the mathematical equivalent of 1 equation, 3 unknowns. This means that there are an infinity of solutions. I set up Solver to find some of them:

40, 1, 8
190, 88, 1
55870, 26536, 1

No particular order or pattern. You'll probably need to call the developer. ;)

Upvote 0
ahhh, got it. i wish my fundamental math skills were stronger, even after taking all the calculus i have taken...

i appreciate your help :)

Upvote 0
hmm... I may have forgotten a key detail: what about the SF of each product? If you knew that Product (1) 1416 SF, Product (2) 486 SF, and Product (3) 3,500 SF and the total cost is 18,372,997, would that help?

Upvote 0
Probably my food coma from lunch.... but there are 25 units of Product (1), 8 of (2), and 1 of (3). With a quoted gross SF of 58,268

Upvote 0
I reached out to the developers, but I fear they won't get back to me until Monday.
They provided another Total Project Cost that included some other fees. They weren't supposed to include those in the weighted averages because of how those fees are structured, but it seems they may have. If that's the case, the number to use shouldn't be that ~18mm, but 22,096,604.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back