Including a counter within an advanced filter

rbsam

I have an advanced filter set up and separate to that subroutine I have another subroutine that loops through the filter results and places the value into a text box. That all works fine but I'm trying to include a counter so for every result that's being displayed the counter goes up, and then when the criteria changes and new results are found it goes back to 1 and counts again from there.

Code:
Public Sub GetNextResult()

FilterData

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Database")

Dim header As String
    header = "txtbox1"

Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Dim DataRange As Range
    Set DataRange = ws.Range("A5", "H" & LastRow)

Dim FilteredData As Range
    Set FilteredData = DataRange.Resize(ColumnSize:=1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)

If CurrentRow + 1 > FilteredData.Cells.Count Then
        CurrentRow = 1

End If

CurrentRow = CurrentRow + 1
    Dim i As Long
    Dim cell As Variant

counter = 1
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Cardcounter").TextFrame.Characters.Text = counter
    counter = counter + 1

For Each cell In FilteredData

i = i + 1

If i = CurrentRow Then

Call ShowAll

TextboxName = "txtbox1"
            ActiveSheet.Shapes(TextboxName).DrawingObject.Text = cell.Offset(0, 2)

TextboxName2 = "txtbox2"
            ActiveSheet.Shapes(TextboxName2).DrawingObject.Text = cell.Offset(0, 3)

If ActiveSheet.Shapes(TextboxName).DrawingObject.Text = header Then
                'MsgBox "header detected"
                'Exit Sub

Call GetNextResult

End If

Call quick_artwork

Else
            Call ShowAll

End If

Next cell

End Sub
[COLOR=#242729][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

So I've put
Code:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; background-color: rgb(239, 240, 241); white-space: pre-wrap;">counter = 1</code>
before the for loop and then within the for loop I've put
Code:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; background-color: rgb(239, 240, 241); white-space: pre-wrap;">counter = counter + 1</code>
and I thought that would work but it doesn't. It doesn't show an error, but the number doesn't change.

I'm sure I have it in the wrong location, but I can't figure out where. If there are 5 results, the counter should only go to 5 and then when the subroutine returns the first result again the counter is back to 1

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
In that case try
Code:
    Dim i As Long
    Dim cell As Variant
    Static counter As Long

counter = counter + 1
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Cardcounter").TextFrame.Characters.Text = counter

For Each cell In FilteredData

Okay so this has made the counter start to count upwards. But 2 things are happening:
1. When all of the results that were filtered have been cycled through, the counter should reset back to 1 but it keeps counting up
2. When the criteria for the filter is changed, it should reset back to 1, but instead keeps counting upwards

Thanks for your help though, we're getting closer!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
How will the code know when to reset?

Upvote 0
How will the code know when to reset?

When it has inserted the first filtered result, that should be linked to 1 so everything after it goes upwards until it gets back to the first result again which triggers the counter to go back to default position of 1

The idea behind doing this is right now I have a macro for filtering, which shows all of the entires, then I have another macro which inserts the data from each row the filter one by one into a textbox. The reason for the counter is to ensure it's easy to see when you're going in loop so you don't keep clicking it and not being aware of the fact you're seeing a result you've already seen before

Upvote 0
What is there in your code that says you have gone back to the start?

Upvote 0
Currently it’s not there. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I was thinking of using the match function as that picks out the first result that fits the criteria, right? So that should return the row number, and then I could assign the 1 to that so if that result is displayed then the counter is 1

Upvote 0
Something like
Code:
   MsgBox Range("H1", Range("H" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlVisible).Count

Upvote 0
Something like
Code:
   MsgBox Range("H1", Range("H" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlVisible).Count

I won't be back to my computer until tomorrow to test it but will that work? Because the filter works by making the unwanted rows really small so they're not visible, and I worry that doing the end xl up won't know which cells to count

Upvote 0
It will work if you are using either advanced filters or Auto filters. If you are simply reducing the row height then it probably won't.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back