Custom data validation

leopardhawk

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Is it possible to have the data validation in a cell NOT permit any entry at all unless there is a valid date in another cell? I tried this...

Code:
=if(H9,0,0)

...but it still allows data to be entered in the cell I am trying to validate.

Cheers!

Re: Need help with custom data validation

Just a word of caution. IsDate() has some quirks.
I'm not sure how the 'date cell' is formatted, but if you enter, say, 0.1 into that 'date cell' you will probably see either 0.1 or you might see 0/01/1900 or similar. In any case I doubt you would consider either of those as a 'valid date' yet I think you will find that the Data Validation suggested will allow an entry into the DV cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Re: Need help with custom data validation

I think I spoke too soon. Two separate issues have cropped up and I am hoping that you can help.

1. I need a way to copy the cell that contains the validation and drag it down the column (which contains 500 rows) but without the $$$, I can't figure out how to keep the =DATEVER(personal_info!H9) from changing to H10, H11, H12 etc... If I had to do 500 rows individually, it would be extremely painful.

2. Am I right to suggest that the ISDATE in Name Manager can only be used once on a worksheet? I have another column (P) on the same worksheet that needs to reference 'personal_info!H11' and when I selected the cell in column P and changed the 'Refers to' to =DATEVER(personal_info!H11), it changed the 'Refers to' in my first cell to =DATEVER(personal_info!XFD9)...! It looks like it won't allow me to have two separate cells references using the one ISDATE. Is this correct and if it is, is there a workaround?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Peter, the cell with the actual date will only accept a valid date so I hope that that solves that problem. My other issues as defined in my previous post are much more of a concern I think.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
As I continue to try and find a solution to this issue, it occurs to me that my original post "Is it possible to have the data validation in a cell NOT permit any entry at all unless there is a valid date in another cell?" mentions 'valid date'. What if I change that to 'anything at all'...? In other words, is it possible to have a cell NOT permit anything to be entered unless there is something besides a blank in another cell? Would this be an easier issue to resolve?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter, the cell with the actual date will only accept a valid date so I hope that that solves that problem.
It certainly does and you are on the right track with ...
As I continue to try and find a solution to this issue, it occurs to me that my original post "Is it possible to have the data validation in a cell NOT permit any entry at all unless there is a valid date in another cell?" mentions 'valid date'. What if I change that to 'anything at all'...? In other words, is it possible to have a cell NOT permit anything to be entered unless there is something besides a blank in another cell? Would this be an easier issue to resolve?

If the Date cell is H9, then your Custom DV formula in the other cell could be simply =H9<>"" and remove the tick from 'Ignore blank'
If you want to copy that DV down and keep referring to H9 (that is only allow values in any cell below if H9 has a date) then the DV formula would be =H$9<>""

Upvote 0
Peter, fantastic! So much easier, I feel bad for having folks suggesting the ISDATE etc. It works perfectly. Anyway, thanks much and all the best!

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Peter, fantastic! So much easier, I feel bad for having folks suggesting the ISDATE etc. It works perfectly. Anyway, thanks much and all the best!

Cheers!
You're welcome. Certainly took the long way around but the main things is success at the end. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back