Noticed odd new functionality after upgrading to Excel 2016

neylon

So in summary i'm entering name initials in a column, and excel appears to be calculating the rest of the coloumn for me, but then deletes it all again. Like a kind of autofill thing. How do I actually make use of this I can't figure it out.

In a bit more detail, in column A i have 'Firstname Lastname'. I then go down column B and enter the first two letters of the firstname, then the first letter of the second name. This creates a unique 3 letter identifier for each employee which I can use for various other functionality in the report. For example John Smith would be JOS.

As i'm going down the list, every now and again it appears to calculate the rest of the column for me, however it only lasts a second before disappearing again even if i dont press anything. It appears as a sort of greyed out font, and I can't reproduce the action on purpose.

First of all i'm a little shocked it's managed to figure out what i'm doing and been able to fill in the rest of the column by itself. However, I have no idea how to leverage this in a useful manner.

Is there a name for this functionality? and how do I get it to actually fill in the cells rather than it appearing to be some sort of autofill suggestion that i can't access.

Thanks
Ben

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back