Having a right nightmare with exporting Tab Delimited from 2003 to .txt format for Google Shopping Upload

Rhothgar

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I have been tearing my hair out with this conundrum and still no nearer to solving.

We have a TXT feed from our website to Google Shopping which uploads every morning at 6:00am largely without errors.

From time to time, we need to edit items and re-upload during the day.

I have downloaded the file from our ecommerce host and then used Beyond Compare to compare it to the http link. It is 100% identical.

However, when we need to do an edit, I import external data into Excel 2003 and then save a Tab Delimited then do a manual upload. It has NEVER worked and here's why!

I make the amendments in Excel as it is fast to do and then save a Tab Delimited. I've also tried Unicode.txt format. Again, to no avail.

In some item descriptions, we may have size 3.5" x 4.5" and either Excel or Google Shopping is interpreting it as have quoted field delimiters!

When I import into Excel it automatically sets delimiters to ". I have changed it None. I tried it with " and even '. Again, no joy!

I have even tried saving to .txt format then opening the text file and checking the encoding in there and setting it to UTF-8.

Google Shopping can accept ASCII, ISO-8859-1, Windows-1252, UTF 8, UTF 16LE, XML and there is a quoted fields which can be ticked or unticked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've lost the will to live...

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Until you find a better alternative ...

search the description column for " and replace with inches

EITHER manually by selecting column and using Search & Replace OR use this simple macro to achieve the same result (amend refs as appropriate)
Code:
Sub ReplaceQuotes()
    ActiveSheet.Columns("K").Replace Chr(34), " inches"
End Sub

(inserting a space between the number and inches looks better IMHO)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for this Yongle.

One issue I foresee is I have some HTML code pulling in a CSS sheet. Is it possible to amend the Macro so it only searches for quotes after the HTML by perhaps concatenating or ignoring the first x number of characters.

Upvote 0
How about only replacing quotes that are preceded by a number?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjurney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back