Multiple conditional formatting

iluvsafc

Hi all, this one has been getting on my nerves for a while now! Hopefully someone can help. I have some basic formula to work out the date 6 months after and nine months after column I.

I also have some conditional formatting to turn columns J & L red if the date exceeds TODAY() which also works fine.

What i am trying to do is either disable the conditional formatting in column J if the review has been completed and the same in L or create a new conditional formatting rule that turns the columns back to zero formatting if there is a review or an exit meeting entered.

Its the multiple formatting of a single cell based on the value of another cell that i'm struggling with or am i over complicating this?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

IJKLMN
Date startedReview Date (6 months)Review completed dateExit meeting (9 Months)Exit Meeting Date
01/01/2019=EDATE(I1,6)01/10/2019=EDATE(I1,9)07/08/2019

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You just need the one CF formula. It would be something like this for column J
=AND(J2>TODAY(),K2="")

and similar for column L

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. If i apply that formula to the first cell in column J is there an easy way of copying that conditional formatting formula to the other cells in J column? Its just that J2 is coded into the format and doesn't change when using autofill. Thanks

Upvote 0
If you select J2:Jxx before applying that CF then Excel will automatically adjust for all the other cells you have selected.

If you have only applied it to J2 then select J2 and go to Conditional Formatting -> Manage Rules ... -> Click on the rule -> In the 'Applies to' box you can set the range eg =$J$2:$J$100

Upvote 0
Sorry i'm still a little confused. So if i go to the 'add a formula section in CF and enter

=AND($J$5:$J$64>TODAY(),$K$4:$K$64="") and change the formatting to red should that then change any cells in J column to red if the date exceeds today but if the cell in column K has a date it wont apply the colour format?

Upvote 0
Sorry i'm still a little confused. So if i go to the 'add a formula section in CF and enter

=AND($J$5:$J$64>TODAY(),$K$4:$K$64="") and change the formatting to red should that then change any cells in J column to red if the date exceeds today but if the cell in column K has a date it wont apply the colour format?
No, you have added a whole bunch of $ signs in the formula that mine didn't have. You have also added ranges in the formula that mine didn't have.

Suppose you want this to start in row 4 then select J4:J??
Then in the CF dialog, New Rule, use a formula and use this formula exactly =AND(J4>TODAY(),K4="") & set the format colour
That's it - done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work as it formats J cells even if they haven't exceeded TODAY().

Upvote 0
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work as it formats J cells even if they haven't exceeded TODAY().
Perhaps I have mis-interpreted the blue part. Does it work if we turn the inequality sign around (& we would have to add an extra condition that J wasn't blank)?

Excel Workbook
JK
3Review dateReview completed date
415/06/2019
54/08/20194/08/2019
628/11/2020
728/11/202014/11/2019
87/07/2019
CF Dates
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
J41. / Formula is =AND(J4<>"")Abc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back