Advanced Graph options.

Getafix1066

Board Regular
Hi,

I'd like to be able to plot multiple data series on the same graph with the same horizontal axis. I have sets of data including metrics like temperature, pressure, distance, height, speed etc etc all of which have the same horizontal axis (time).

The problem is that all of the metrics have completely different ranges and scales. Temperature varies from 15 to 35 degrees, pressure from 950 to 1020 millibars, height from 100 to 150 meters, speed from 0 to 30 meters/sec. With only two vertical axis available in excel, whatever range and scale I chose some of my data is going to be squashed up and hard to read.

What I'd like to achieve is something that looks like the graph at the bottom of this link http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/SNHGZO2WYURXMBG2RAXEVDC4UM . This graph has two features I'd like to replicate in excel
  1. multiple series on the same graph. All with the same horizontal axis (time) and all with their own vertical axis.
  2. the use of the 'hotspot' or 'reference line' - move the mouse over one series, and you get to see the value of the other series at the same moment in time.

Are these features achievable in excel, and if not can anyone suggest any software that might give me this functionality?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Anything Chart related I tend to search here first > https://peltiertech.com/

That said I think you might be able to fake the look, overlaying graphs of the same outline, to make them look as one. I wonder if it is possible to have transparent backgrounds ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back