Trouble Understanding Which Formula is needed

gravanoc

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hi, I'm having a major headache right now and can't think straight on this. I've tried a couple of solutions, but still can't wrap my head around what is needed.

Basically, I am trying to return a value from the first tab contingent on whether or not the value underneath cell A1 on that tab is blank or not. It's hard to describe, but I put an explainer in the cell adjacent to where the formula would be.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_6ktCot2wQ33RsumUNz7NaA2z6DAePNZ

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Sadly, not. The important detail has been clipped from the second tab.

Upvote 0
Here's what it says: <<< Here instead I need a formula that would look for the A1 Value in the DATABASE sheet A Column and return the C2 value ONLY IF the cell below A1 (DATABASE Sheet) is blank! If not blank return "" Nothing.

Upvote 0
How about

=IF(OFFSET(DATABASE!A1,1,0)="",DATABASE!C2,"")

Sorry - I can't use Google Drive from this computer, so I'm working off the written description only.

ETA: Unless you mean that you need to find a text string A1, not cell A1.... In which case

=IF(OFFSET(DATABASE!A1,MATCH("A1", DATABASE!A:A,0)+1,0)="",DATABASE!C2,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's what it says: <<< Here instead I need a formula that would look for the A1 Value in the DATABASE sheet A Column and return the C2 value ONLY IF the cell below A1 (DATABASE Sheet) is blank! If not blank return "" Nothing.
From what I can see, none of your examples demonstrate the red part. Could you give example(s) where that would apply or point me to where it is demonstrated with the given sample data?

Upvote 0
Hi, I updated it so that it hopefully makes more sense now.

[FONT=&quot]I have to create a database to upload products to a web marketplace.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They supplied me a blank spreadsheet where, beside many other fields like description, size etc, they also need the image file name listed in columns NEXT to each other (WEB tab in my sample sheet).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have all of these data in another spreadsheet but when a product has multiple images, they are not listed in columns next to each other but in below rows and the SKU# is NOT repeated but left blank (see DATABASE tab in my sample sheet).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have no problem to retrieve the first image with a simple Vlookup (Column "C" of the WEB sheet) the problem is instead to retrieve and place the additional images…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In my head :) I have this formula:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Example for SKU# BS02/6-BSP (on the WEB sheet row 3)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On C3 the Current formula =VLOOKUP(A3,DATABASE!A:C,3,FALSE) works perfect to retrieve the main/first image[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On D3 I need a formula that will look for the value on A3 cell on the A Column of the DATABASE sheet and once located if the cell BELOW is blank then retrieve the value on the C column otherwise ""return blank.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Same on the E3 column to retrieve the third image if available…[/FONT]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OKZs1yq2ZCnmSpGS7qho3F5skAKC3lMU/view?usp=sharing

Upvote 0
Is this solvable with built-in functions as is?

I have to create a database to upload products to a web marketplace.

They supplied me a blank spreadsheet where, beside many other fields like description, size etc, they also need the image file name listed in columns NEXT to each other (WEB tab in my sample sheet).

I have all of these data in another spreadsheet but when a product has multiple images, they are not listed in columns next to each other but in below rows and the SKU# is NOT repeated but left blank (see DATABASE tab in my sample sheet).
I have no problem to retrieve the first image with a simple Vlookup (Column "C" of the WEB sheet) the problem is instead to retrieve and place the additional images…

In my head :) I have this formula:
Example for SKU# BS02/6-BSP (on the WEB sheet row 3)

On C3 the Current formula =VLOOKUP(A3,DATABASE!A:C,3,FALSE) works perfect to retrieve the main/first image
On D3 I need a formula that will look for the value on A3 cell on the A Column of the DATABASE sheet and once located if the cell BELOW is blank then retrieve the value on the C column otherwise ""return blank.
Same on the E3 column to retrieve the third image if available…

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OKZs1yq2ZCnmSpGS7qho3F5skAKC3lMU

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back