Manual enter formula 'conflicts' with VBA created formula

BrianJN1

I have a rather complicated table of formulae which could be easily corrupted by manual manipulation (I'm aware of password protect but that is not my concern). I have set about rewriting all of the formulae in that table in Visual Basic.

Now in one particular column the formulae are of the format:
=IF(C$2<Glob_Data!L11+1,COUNTIF($A:$A,"<"&D5+1),"") and if there is no data present the cell reports "0".

COUNTIF($A:$A, "<" & D5+1) reports the value held in D5 plus 1.

Writing that under VBA I have:
Cells(5,6).formula="=IF(C$2<Glob_Data!L11+1,COUNTIF($A:$A, "<" & D5+1),"""")" and so the only difference in the formula is the quotes at the end of that under VBA. There is are no compilation errors report but when I execute that formula the cell holds the value FALSE, no formula is present. That is even so if Column A does hold values.

Clearly there is something wrong with my syntax. I'd appreciate some guidance to rectify that.
I don't see any point in offering that table as it would be too complicated to explain in writing what is going on.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Hi Brian
Can you repost, and put a space before and after any "<" and ">" signs please ?
The forum sees these as HTML tags and removes the rest of the formula.

Upvote 0
I have a rather complicated table of formulae which could be easily corrupted by manual manipulation (I'm aware of password protect but that is not my concern). I have set about rewriting all of the formulae in that table in Visual Basic.

Now in one particular column the formulae are of the format:
=IF(C$2<glob_data!l11+1,countif($a:$a,"<"&d5+1),"") and="" if="" there="" is="" no="" data="" present="" the="" cell="" reports="" "0".

COUNTIF($A:$A, "<" & D5+1) reports the value held in D5 plus 1.

Writing that under VBA I have:
Cells(5,6).formula="=IF(C$2<glob_data!l11+1,countif($a:$a, "<"="" &="" d5+1),"""")"="" and="" so="" the="" only="" difference="" in="" formula="" is="" quotes="" at="" end="" of="" that="" under="" vba.="" there="" are="" no="" compilation="" errors="" report="" but="" when="" i="" execute="" cell="" holds="" value="" false,="" present.="" even="" if="" column="" a="" does="" hold="" values.

Clearly there is something wrong with my syntax. I'd appreciate some guidance to rectify that.
I don't see any point in offering that table as it would be too complicated to explain in writing what is going on.

Michael, I didn't check back upon this so missed the deletion. The manual formula to which I referred reads as:
=IF(C$2 < Glob_Data!L11+1,COUNTIF($A:$A," < " &D5+1),"").

In case there is another issue I'm going to put "**" where the "<" should go:
=IF(C$2 ** Glob_Data!L11+1,COUNTIF($A:$A, "**" &D5+1),"") The first "<" is NOT to be in quotes but the second is.
Let's see how this entry compiles.

</glob_data!l11+1,countif($a:$a,></glob_data!l11+1,countif($a:$a,"<"&d5+1),"")>

Upvote 0
Maybe this Brian

Code:
Cells(5, 6).Formula = "=IF(C$2 < Glob_Data!L11+1,COUNTIF($A:$A,""<"" &D5+1),"""")"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
The only thing that I see that you have done is to put the second "<" in double quotes.
I've just done that but on execution I have a run-time error - Application-defined or object error.
( I actually isolate that formula to its own macro for convenience).

Upvote 0
The second " < " AND the final "blank" are both requiring double quotes.
The formual I attached works fine for me via VBA
2 Things to check
Make sure Glob_Data sheet is not protected
and
run the code when the sheet that requires the formula is the active sheet

Upvote 0
Ah, Michael. I had an "&" leftover from and edit and that was creating my error message. Yes, I had both double quotes as you mentioned so now my problem is solved. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Glad to help ....(y)

Not a good day for golf though !!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back