Offset Match Max - Priority Issue

dejalive

Hi folks,

I am relatively new to Excel functions, but have set up a shared sheet in Google docs for my friends and I to do an online auction for our Fantasy Football draft in real time.

I have each of our names in a separate column across row 11, and a blank cell below each name in row 12 for us to enter a bidding amount. I have a cell set up with the following formula to display the current high bid:

=MAX(A12:L12)

Next to it, I want to display the name of the high bidder, so I am using this:

=OFFSET(A12,-1,match(MAX(A12:L12),A12:L12,0)-1)

It works almost perfectly, BUT when two people enter the same amount, it will automatically display the value of the column further to the left, regardless of who entered it first. I.e. if the person in Column E bids 55, they will appear in the high bid box. If the person in Column C also bids the same amount, their name will replace the original bidder in the high bid box. But if someone in column J then bids 55, it will not kick out the previous bidder unless person J bids higher.

Is there any way around Excel reading the data from left to right and prioritizing the column furthest to the left? I feel like I'm so close to getting this to work right, I'd hate for there not to be a way to iron out this last kink. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
This is an array formula. Confirm with Control+Shift+Enter.

=INDEX(A11:L11,1,MAX(IF(MAX(A12:L12)=A12:L12,COLUMN(A12:L12),0)))

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestion. Just gave it a try and it actually reversed the problem, so equal values entered in columns to the right of the previous entry are now being prioritized. Entries to the left are no longer being prioritized.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back