Show 40 hours worked

drdanconnie

I'm summing total hours worked in cell J5, formatted as [h]:mm, to =sum(c5:I5) and getting 48:44. In cell K5. also formatted as [h]:mm, using formula =IF(J5>=40,40,J5) , I'm seeing 48:44 when I expect to see 40:00. In the next column, L5, formatted as [h]:mm using formula =(J5-K5), I would like to see the over time hours of 8:44, but instead I'm seeing 0:00. Finally I would like to see the total pay using formula =(K5*B2)+(L5*B2*1.5) where B2 is $11.00, the pay per hour formatted as currency 2, which shows $.33. Tall order...please advise. Thank you.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi, Welcome to the message board, your formula should check =(J5>=40/24,40/24,J5) as 40 hours are 1.66666 in numeric value. If you are looking for further assistance can you please post some sample data and expected results, that will help in getting to a solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
How to you store the time? Do you use standard excel for displaying time? If so please note that although you have the cell formatted to display hh:mm, excel stores time value as a float no where 1 hour is 0.041(6) - it comes from 1(day)/24hours but one minute is 1/(24*60). So in that case 40hrs will be stores by excel as 1.(6). Format the cell to general where you have summed timethe 48:44 hrs and let me know what value you excel displays-is it 2,030555...?
Regards,
Sebastian

Upvote 0
Note:

A simpler way of writing:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333] =(J5>=40/24,40/24,J5)[/COLOR]
is to just use the MIN function:
Code:
=MIN(J5,40/24)
which basically says to take the lesser of the two values.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you to all for the suggestions. The spreadsheet calculations now work correctly. Again, thank you for all your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back