Pivot table for finding distinct counts with multiple page filters

dhregan

Hello -

I have a dynamic named range called "ERROR_TABLE" which consists of 4 columns: report name, area, owner, severity. The data in this range is updated via an upload by the user. I have created a pivot table based on this range. This pivot table - called "ERROR_PIVOT" lists a distinct count of report names with area for row and severity for column. The pivot table has 2 page-level filters, one for owner and another for severity. These page-level filters are set to "ABC" for owner and "Error" for severity.

I created the pivot table using test data which contained every possible combination of the 4 data columns, so I know the pivot table is correct. The problem that I have encountered is when one of the users loaded their data into the ERROR_TABLE range, the data did not contain any rows with an owner = "ABC", so the filter for owner is reverting back to "All" which distorts the results.

How can I keep the value of the filter static so that it does not revert to "All" when no occurrences of "ABC" are contained in the data?

TIA

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
You're running into one of the differences between a "regular Pivot Table and a Data Model Pivot Table.
In a Normal Pivot table, you can set the "Number of items to retain per field"

You will need to force that Filter availability with another Table or Query.

Upvote 0
You're running into one of the differences between a "regular Pivot Table and a Data Model Pivot Table.
In a Normal Pivot table, you can set the "Number of items to retain per field"

You will need to force that Filter availability with another Table or Query.

Thank you. I am not familiar with how to do that. Would I copy my named range into a working table? Is this something that can be handled through VBA?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back