vba Remove last 5 characters from string in table column

brentcook

Board Regular
Have a table in a sheet that is connected with info on sharepoint. Wondering if there is a way to remove the last 5 characters (.xslx, .docx, .xlsm etc.) from an entire column. Any ideas?

Hi Dante … Just trying to understand your Evaluate line, what is the purpose of IF({1} & what does it mean ? I have tried to produce the same line without it as shown below & it works just fine with my small sample
Rich (BB code):
This only works for the first cell
    .Value = Evaluate("=mid(" & .Address & ",1,len(" & .Address & ")-5)")

To work with all cells it must be an array formula, for that the If evaluation is used, but we need it to always be true, so if ({1}, this always makes it true.

Try an example with the following in column "A":
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:134.97px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >word1.docx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >letras1.xlsx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >word1.docx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >pres new1.pptx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td >letras2.xlsx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td >word2.docx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td >pres new2.pptx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td >letras tres.xlsx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td >word tres.docx</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td >pres new tres.pptx</td></tr></table>

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Thanks Dante for the feedback. I tried my code without the if({1} in the sample data provided above & it works for all rows not only the first row ... Anyway, i don't want to hijack this thread for something else. I will try to read more about it :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Dante for the feedback. I tried my code without the if({1} in the sample data provided above & it works for all rows not only the first row ... Anyway, i don't want to hijack this thread for something else. I will try to read more about it :)

It's weird, did you try my data?
Can you put your test data?

Upvote 0
Dante
It works for me without the If function.
I suspect that the Mid function effectively "returns the row number", in the same way the If function does.

Upvote 0
Dante
It works for me without the If function.
I suspect that the Mid function effectively "returns the row number", in the same way the If function does.

Hi Fluff,
It doesn't work for me, maybe it's the excel version, I have 2007 (I know it's an old version).

Upvote 0
In that case it does sound like something's changed as it works with 365 and unfortunately I can't get onto my old computer with xl2013 to check with that version.

@mse330
What version of Xl are you running?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So it's the version, from what I've seen, 365 already has another handle when it comes to array formulas.

Upvote 0
Whilst I don't have the new dynamic array formulae as yet, it might have something to do with it.

Upvote 0
dbf560d55ccbc379bfc5eb5c34a6ccaa.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back