How to use list instead of hardcoding data from tabs to a summary page

Markalon

Hello all, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a spreadsheet that totals up hours from different sheets in the workbook to a summary sheet. It won't let me post a file or a picture so I'll try and explain the best I can...

On each of the employee specific sheets (e.g. Sheet 2 - NeilB) I have 10 columns:

Date - Job No. - Panel - Wire - Tag - PPT - Test - Program - Rew - Misc

I manually enter the date, job number and number of hours for each of the remaining columns. No calculations here. I have several employees sheets. All their hours get totaled up on the summary sheet...

I have 10 columns on the summary sheet (Sheet 1 - Summary):

Job No. - System - Panel - Wire - Tag - PPT - Test - Program - Rew - Misc ... columns A through J

Job number is manually entered as is the system. In the remaining columns (C-J) I have the following formula (this is the formula in cell C54):

Code:
=IF(SUMIFS(NeilB!$C:$C,NeilB!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(SteveJ!$C:$C,SteveJ!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(ScottG!$C:$C,ScottG!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(JoeS!$C:$C,JoeS!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(JeffC!$C:$C,JeffC!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(MikeG!$C:$C,MikeG!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(GregW!$C:$C,GregW!$B:$B,$A54)=0,"",SUMIFS(NeilB!$C:$C,NeilB!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(SteveJ!$C:$C,SteveJ!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(ScottG!$C:$C,ScottG!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(JoeS!$C:$C,JoeS!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(JeffC!$C:$C,JeffC!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(GregW!$C:$C,GregW!$B:$B,$A54)+SUMIFS(MikeG!$C:$C,MikeG!$B:$B,$A54))

As you can see, its already a very long formula. And each of the columns are adjusted with the column specific information.

When I add a new employee, I have to go in and manually update every formula in each column. It works, but what I'm trying to figure out is how to create a criteria list of the employees so I can standardize the formula so I only have to update the employee list instead of each of the formulas. I'm sure there must be a way to do something like this?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi,
I suggest writing either a VBA macro to summarize throughout all the worksheets or developing a formulae with job no as its parameter to summarize what you need. In my opinion you will not finger out a dynamic formulae for that because of the fact that each employee = new worksheet. Excel does have a few 3D formulas which allows to do some calculation on a prowided scope of worksheets, however it does not support calculation of conditional summary on many worksheets.
If you're interested in having either a macro or developed a function to dynamically calculate what you need, give me a shout.
Kind regards,
Sebastian

Upvote 0
I'd change your design. If you want to keep to just Functions and avoid VBA then it will only get more complex.

I try and avoid multiple tabs with effectively the same data (e.g. 12 month sheets, 8 Region sheets) so I would restructure what you have to be:
  • A "Data" sheet where you enter the Employee name, date, System, etc.
  • A "Reference" sheet with a table of Employees. I'd also have a Job No. table to validate entries and maybe the Customer name for that Job?
  • A "Summary" page with your calculations based on selection of data from the "Data" sheet.

Here's a draft of each sheet:

ABCDEFGHIJKL
1EmpDateJob No. System Panel Wire Tag PPT Test Program Rew Misc
2NeilB02-Aug-19A99216112117219
3SteveJ04-Aug-19C82231910341151
4ScottG06-Aug-19C4555130718
5NeilB08-Aug-19A9922052111218
6NeilB10-Aug-19C8221011161615151
7ScottG12-Aug-19C4551571911204108

<tbody>
</tbody>
Data

BCDE
1EmployeeJob No.
Customer
2NeilBA992ACME Widgets Corp
3SteveJC455Bodgit Mison LLC
4ScottGC822Soo, Grabbit & Runn Lawyers
5JoeS
6JeffC
7MikeG
8GregW

<tbody>
</tbody>
Reference
Workbook Defined Names
NameRefers To
Employee=Table1[Employee]
Job=Table2[Job No. ]

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1EmployeeNeilB
2Job NumberA992
3Week CommencingMon, 5-Aug-19 System Panel Wire Tag PPT Test Program Rew MiscTotal
4toSun, 11-Aug-19205021112001877

<tbody>
</tbody>
Summary

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B4=B3+6
D4=SUMIFS(Data!D:D,Data!$A:$A,$B$1,Data!$C:$C,$B$2,Data!$B:$B,">="&$B$3,Data!$B:$B,"<="&$B$4)
to
L4
---copy & paste as above---
M4=SUM(D4:L4)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

So on "Summary" I can select employee NeilB from the LoV (no more effort than selecting the tab) and job A992 from the LoV then if I want a date range I enter into B3 and have B4 add 6 days for the week so see all hours for NeilB, A992 and 5-11 August.

If I enter * into the Employee it gets me all employees for that job & week. Enter * into Job and I get all jobs.

Adding a new Employee doesn't need any formulae changes, just add a name to the Employee table and enter the data into the "Data" sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back