slow formula. Is there a faster way?

TimvMechelen

Board Regular
Hi all,

My workbook is getting very slow, especially when i insert rows or enter new data for example.
Is there a faster way to achieve the same result?

I hope the formulas are translated correctly from dutch to english.

Formula 1:
=VLOOKUP(OFFSET(A85;-1;0);'CAPACITY'!$AM:$BL;COLUMNS('CAPACITY'!$AM$16:$BL$16);FALSE)

Formula 2:
=SUM(INDIRECT(ToColletter(COLUMN(G86))&MATCH(OFFSET($A86;-2;0);$A:$A;0)&":"&ToColletter(COLUMN(G86))&CELL("row";G86)-2))

The "ToColletter" is a VBA function that gives the charater of the column instead of the number:
Code:
Public Function ToColletter(Collet)    ToColletter = Split(Cells(1, Collet).Address, "$")(1)
End Function

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Do these work the same way?

=VLOOKUP(A84,CAPACITY!$AM:$BL,26,FALSE)
=SUM(INDEX($G:$G:G:G,MATCH($A84,$A:$A,0),0))

Upvote 0
The 2nd one can be simplified to:

=SUM($G$84:G84)

assuming that your lookup value is within the lookup array. If it isnt use what i gave before.

Upvote 0
Do these work the same way?

=VLOOKUP(A84,CAPACITY!$AM:$BL,26,FALSE)
=SUM(INDEX($G:$G:G:G,MATCH($A84,$A:$A,0),0))

This formulas work the same way (I think), but the problem is, that sometimes rows will be deleted, for example row 84. That's why I use the OFFSET formula.

Upvote 0
Cant say as i really understand that. If you delete row 84 then your vlookup formula, for example, has a different lookup value. Hows does that all work? Id suggest avoiding the deleting. Why is that necessary?

Upvote 0
Cant say as i really understand that. If you delete row 84 then your vlookup formula, for example, has a different lookup value. Hows does that all work? Id suggest avoiding the deleting. Why is that necessary?
Yes, if I delete row 84, then your formula would give an error, because the same cell in row 84 doesn't exist anymore.

It is necessary, because I want to sum up hours in the formula and sometimes some tasks has to be deleted.

Upvote 0
You still didnt really answer what i was thinking as if you delete row 84 your formula then has a different lookup value. It may be best to give a small sample of your sheet so we could take a look.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AirOliver

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back