Combine Index with indirect function

Tempt

Hi everyone,

I am stuck trying to figure out some formula in Excel. I have a column of some descriptions of a transaction and I need to aasign to them names (for example, to whom they belong or just for the purpose of making sense out of them). (Table 1)
By looking at them, I found some patterns, namely words or expressions they start with. I then generated a separate table with those beginnings of cells with a separate column of names. Furthermore, I generated a column of the length of the cells that contain those beginnings.
Now I am trying to figure out a formula that would look at the left of description cells (number of characters to be looked up to the left correspond to the column of lengths) and then when they match any of the cells of the first column of Table 2, then return the name that is in the second column of the table.
For demonstration, the table look like this:

Table 1
Description

Table 2
Beginnings | Names | Lengths
. . .
. . .
. . .

I need a formula for the second column of Table 1 that returns some content from the second column of table 2.
The formula for B2 in Table 1 looks like this:

=INDEX(Table2!A2:C190,MATCH(LEFT(Table1!A2;INDIRECT("Lengths")),INDIRECT("Beginnings"),0),2)

The formula doesn't work properly somehow returning the needed for some cells and not returning for others.

It would be cool if someone could tell me what I am doing wong or suggest any other possible solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi, welcome to the forum!

If I've understood correctly, then I don't think we need the lengths column and here is an option you can try:

Excel 2013/2016
ABCDE
1DescriptionNameBeginningsNames
2hello worldname 1helloname 1
3mr Excel forumName 2mr ExcelName 2
4more textName 4anotherName 3
5text moreName 5moreName 4
6textName 5
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2=LOOKUP(2,1/COUNTIFS(A2,$D$2:$D$6&"*"),$E$2:$E$6)

If this doesn't help, maybe re-post you example tables but fill in those ". . ." with some actual examples.

Upvote 0
Hey, MrExcel MVP!

Thanks for the answer. It worked perfectly. This is exactly what I needed. You are my savior.

Would also be cool if you also could explain what the formula exactly does and how it works.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Great, good to hear.

Try using the "evaluate formula" option on the "formulas" tab to evaluate each step of the calculation.

Keep in mind we are taking advantage of the fact that LOOKUP() ignores errors and can process arrays without the need for control+shift+enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back