Updating values between 2 different spreadsheets by 2 different users

chinnychinchin

Hi all, first time poster here. Hoping someone can help.

I've created 2 spreadsheets to use in a mock scenario for testing my department's flood response procedures. On the 1st spreadsheet (called Location), I've written a macro to constantly increase the value of the river levels every minute. The 2nd spreadsheet (called Overview) then has links to cell values and has an automatically updating chart based on values from the Location spreadsheet. When I have both spreadsheets open on the same laptop, the Overview spreadsheet automatically updates the values every time the values increase on the Location spreadsheet. But when I have the spreadsheets open on different computers, the values do not automatically update. For the scenario, I will need to have the spreadsheets open on different computers as staff will be based in different offices. Both spreadsheets are on our shared network drive.

I have tried sharing the Location spreadsheet, and having this open on both computers. This does work, but it can only update every 5 minutes, which is not often enough, and it also messes up the macros on the spreadsheet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm using Excel 2013.

Thanks

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
if you are able to leave both workbooks in the same location folder and give permission for the other locations to share you might get better results, just a thought.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back