Excel VBA: How to compare values of two cells?

a098p

I am trying to compare the values in two columns for consecutive rows. Specifically, I would like to check the value under Column B and Column C of each row with the one directly above it. And if it matches, perform some XYZ action.

I have the code below which I tried to use but it keeps throwing up errors.

<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; white-space: inherit;">Sub SortAndMergeDupes()

With ActiveSheet

Dim lngRow As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim columnToMatch As Integer: columnToMatch =2
Dim column2ToMatch As Integer: column2ToMatch =3

Set ws = ThisWorkbook("Sheet1")
Set lngRow =.Cells(65536, columnToMatch).End(xlUp).Row

Do

If ws.Cells(lngRow, columnToMatch).Value = ws.Cells(lngRow -1, columnToMatch).Value And Cells(lngRow, column2ToMatch).Value = Cells(lngRow -1, column2ToMatch).Value Then

For i =4 To 50

If.Cells(lngRow -1, i).Value ="" Then
.Cells(lngRow -1, i).Value =.Cells(lngRow, i).Value

End If

Next i

.Rows(lngRow).Delete

End If

lngRow
= lngRow -1

Loop Until lngRow =1

End With

End Sub

</code>Specifically, the error shows up in this line: (Usually - Error method of '_Default' if Object Range failed)
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; white-space: inherit;">If ws.Cells(lngRow, columnToMatch).Value = ws.Cells(lngRow -1, columnToMatch).Value And Cells(lngRow, column2ToMatch).Value = Cells(lngRow -1, column2ToMatch).Value Then

</code>And now, as well as:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; white-space: inherit;">If.Cells(lngRow -1, i).Value ="" Then
.Cells(lngRow -1, i).Value =.Cells(lngRow, i).Value

End If

</code>Any pointers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I'm surprised the code even got as far as it did. Try
Code:
Sub SortAndMergeDupes()

Dim lngRow As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim columnToMatch As Integer: columnToMatch = 2
Dim column2ToMatch As Integer: column2ToMatch = 3

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
lngRow = ws.Cells(65536, columnToMatch).End(xlUp).Row

Do

If ws.Cells(lngRow, columnToMatch).Value = ws.Cells(lngRow - 1, columnToMatch).Value And ws.Cells(lngRow, column2ToMatch).Value = ws.Cells(lngRow - 1, column2ToMatch).Value Then

For i = 4 To 50

If ws.Cells(lngRow - 1, i).Value = "" Then
            ws.Cells(lngRow - 1, i).Value = ws.Cells(lngRow, i).Value

End If

Next i

ws.Rows(lngRow).Delete

End If

lngRow = lngRow - 1

Loop Until lngRow = 1

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
I'm surprised the code even got as far as it did. Try
Code:
Sub SortAndMergeDupes()

Dim lngRow As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")

Do

If ws.Cells(lngRow, columnToMatch).Value = ws.Cells(lngRow - 1, columnToMatch).Value And ws.Cells(lngRow, column2ToMatch).Value = ws.Cells(lngRow - 1, column2ToMatch).Value Then

For i = 4 To 50

End If

Next i

ws.Rows(lngRow).Delete

End If

lngRow = lngRow - 1

Loop Until lngRow = 1

End With

End Sub

It is still throwing up the same error. Out of curiosity though, the code you posted is quite similar to the one I had - what do you mean by 'I am surprised the code even got as far as it did'? Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Am I missing something?
Your code should have produced errors on both these two lines
Code:
[COLOR=#242729][FONT=Arial]<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; white-space: inherit;">[COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Set[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] ws [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] ThisWorkbook[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]"Sheet1"[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] 
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Set[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] lngRow [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Cells[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]65536[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] columnToMatch[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]).[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]End[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]xlUp[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]).[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Row
[/FONT][/COLOR]</code>[/FONT][/COLOR]
& therefore should not have gone past the first of those lines, let alone the second.

Also please do not quote entire posts as it just clutters up the thread and usually unnecessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those were typing errors in the post, apologies - my actual code didn't contain them. Either way, the code you suggested still produces the same error on the same line. Any pointers?

Upvote 0
For that matter, the code in post#2 shouldn't have run either, because I forgot to remove the End With.
Try
Code:
Sub SortAndMergeDupes()

Dim lngRow As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("pcode")

Do

For i = 4 To 50

End If

Next i

ws.Rows(lngRow).Delete

End If

lngRow = lngRow - 1

Loop Until lngRow = 1

End Sub

Upvote 0
What is the value of lngRow when you get the error?

Upvote 0
Code:
Sub MergeDupes2()

'Declaring variables
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim lngRow As Integer

'Setting current worksheet
Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("AttendanceTracker")

'Finding and calling the last row
lngRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

'Starting Loop
Do

'Finding Matching Values
If Range("C" & lngRow).Value = Range("C" & lngRow - 1).Value Then

For i = 4 To 50

End If

Next i

End If

lngRow = lngRow - 1

Loop Until lngRow = 2

End Sub

I tried something slightly different and now it gives me a different error: Method range of object '_Global' failed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back