Non unique identifier - Vlookup?

exalex

Hello,

I am trying to pull phone numbers on an excel sheet using the vlookup function, unfortunately - there is no unique identifier that is correct. Example: one persons name may read "John Billy Doe" on the one page but on the line with numbers it reads "Doe, John" or "Billy Doe John", "John B Doe", "Mr. Doe" is there any way to look these up off each other to spit out the correct phone number?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi exalex,

Let me assume Sheet1 is the sheet where you want to pull the phone numbers and Sheet2 is the sheet with a list of names and phone numbers.

Q1: Is Sheet1 a list of names and against each you want to pull 1 number from Sheet2?
A1: Then I can't see how to do this (e.g. Sheet1 says Mr. Doe but Sheet2 may have John Doe, John Doe Jr, Billy Doe) as you can't tell which name is the best fit.
In this case I would work on changing the data in either or both sheets to have the formats match.

Q2: Does Sheet1 have a cell where you type in a name and you want a list of possible matches from Sheet2?
A2: Yes, you can do this by adding a worker column to Sheet2 and using VLOOKUP with a wildcard.

Upvote 0
Yes, this type of question is asked over and over again on this board.

The best way to resolve this, in my opinion, is to fix your source data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back