HELP! - VLOOKUP with some exact & some non exact matches

SBassAZ

I have a report that shows system generated errors. MOST of the errors are unique & I use them to categorize the errors to determine which work-groups they belong to via a table that has the errors & work-groups. My issue is that one of the errors always begins with "Carrier Billed", but from there it changes with value data specific to each error. That error is worked by the same work-group regardless, so I would like to just VLOOKUP that partial text to get my work-group. I'm open to non-VLOOKUP solutions, too.

Thanks in advance,
Susan

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hi, welcome to the board.

Your request is a bit vague, but perhaps something like

=if(left(A1,14)="Carrier Billed",vlookup("Carrier Billed",B1:C2,2,false),vlookup(A1,B1:C2,2,false))

Where A1 contains your error code, and B1:C2 is your lookup table of error codes and workgroups.
Adapt as required.

Upvote 0
can you reply with an example and an example of what you want the end result to look like?
worksheet names, columns, location of specific cells etc are important too.

otherwise i think you can preface the lookup with an if statement. if(vlookup( or iferror(vlookup(
but i'm not sure what you need specifically without seeing it.

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the board.

Your request is a bit vague, but perhaps something like

=if(left(A1,14)="Carrier Billed",vlookup("Carrier Billed",B1:C2,2,false),vlookup(A1,B1:C2,2,false))

Where A1 contains your error code, and B1:C2 is your lookup table of error codes and workgroups.
Adapt as required.

I think that would work. I was thinking that I needed to include an IF statement, but was unsure how to marry the two.

Upvote 0
can you reply with an example and an example of what you want the end result to look like?
worksheet names, columns, location of specific cells etc are important too.

otherwise i think you can preface the lookup with an if statement. if(vlookup( or iferror(vlookup(
but i'm not sure what you need specifically without seeing it.

Thanks, Blake! It currently returns #N/A for those errors, so could I use IFNA in combination with the Left formula that Gerald mentioned?

The end result is simply a table with unique errors, invoices, their details, & the name of the team that resolves the errors. (It's a HUGE table that averages about 7000 lines.)

As to the location of the data, the table with the errors list, & then the work-group is on a separate worksheet in the same workbook. The VLOOKUP is based on like column AG & fill in column AH.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Blake! It currently returns #N/A for those errors, so could I use IFNA in combination with the Left formula that Gerald mentioned?

yes you can always use error handling with regular formulas.
So the logic would sound like this in your head "If there is an error, proceed with this formula, if not proceed with this other formula"

Code:
=IFERROR(IF(LEFT(A1,14)="Carrier Billed",VLOOKUP("Carrier Billed",B1:C2,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A1,B1:C2,2,FALSE)),"error code")

so this code says if there is an error with Gerald's formula return "error code"
where you can replace error code with your formula you were using before.

I also want to elaborate:
with your posted examples you could give is a sample size of say 5 lines
as well the NAMES of the locations for the data.

so an example of all of all the different components would be nice
example of an example:
here is an example of the report mentioned in post 1 which is named "ReportSheet"

Error MessagesInvoice #Error TeamClientAccount Number
Carrier Billed 127101145#N/AGoogle54894651
127101146ADexter11225461
545101147BGoogle54894651
Carrier Billed E11101148#N/ADexter11225461

<tbody>
</tbody>

here is an example of the error table on sheet "Table1":
Error CodeError TeamNotes
127AHi
545B

<tbody>
</tbody>

and here is what i want to happen when i vlookup in column C for error team
Error MessagesInvoice #Error TeamClientAccount Number
Carrier Billed 127101145AGoogle54894651
127101146ADexter11225461
545101147BGoogle54894651
Carrier Billed E11101148DDexter11225461

<tbody>
</tbody>

my current formula is
Code:
=vlookup(A2,Table1!A:B,2,false)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you both!!! I was able to combine the ideas & have something that works. If you see a cleaner way, let me know.

This is my updated formula.
=IFNA(VLOOKUP($G2,Errors!$A:$C,2,0),IF(LEFT(G2,14)="Carrier Billed","Linked Amt Must Balance",0))

Also, I was going to share the tables, but I can't seem to paste it here in a table, so if you have a tip on that. I will share sample tables.

Upvote 0
Thank you both!!! I was able to combine the ideas & have something that works. If you see a cleaner way, let me know.

This is my updated formula.
=IFNA(VLOOKUP($G2,Errors!$A:$C,2,0),IF(LEFT(G2,14)="Carrier Billed","Linked Amt Must Balance",0))

Also, I was going to share the tables, but I can't seem to paste it here in a table, so if you have a tip on that. I will share sample tables.

if you click on "snapshot" in my forum signature it will bring you to the page explaining how to paste examples on the forum.
my clipboard is being used in a program otherwise i'd paste the link

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back