Overrule conditional formatting

Beleriand_K

I've made a spreadsheet to keep score of a soccer tournament, and I would like to fill the cells if certain conditions are met. To do that I use Conditional Formatting.

Doing that I've encountered a very strange problem: Conditional Formatting overrules horisontal lines, but not vertical lines!?

I can't post a screen print here, so I'll try to do it manually with the current english Premier League as an example:

Liverpool 2 - 0 - 0 6 points | 1 - 0 - 0 | 1 - 0 - 0
Arsenal 2 - 0 - 0 6 points | 1 - 0 - 0 | 1 - 0 - 0

Manchester C 1 - 1 - 0 4 points | 0 - 1 - 0 | 1 - 0 - 0

I create a conditional formatting colouring the cells where the points are above 4. When I do that, the vertical lines seperating the points column from the home results and the home results from the away results is intact, but the horisontal line seperating Arsenal from Manchester C disappear. Apparently it is overruled by the conditional formating.

When I read the Excel help-manual it says that conditional formatting overrules manual formatting, but apparently that only goes for horisontal lines and not vertical lines. That doesn't make sense?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
In the CF, as well as the fill, format the top and bottom borders.
In your example the border that remains must be the top border of the row below.

Upvote 0
In the CF, as well as the fill, format the top and bottom borders.
In your example the border that remains must be the top border of the row below.

The second row (Arsenal) has a bottom border and the third row (Manchester C) has a top border. They both disappear when CF sets in. But the right and left borders in the two rows remain. That is what I don't understand.

Seen from CF's point of view, why is there a difference between a top border (disappears) and a right border (remains)? I would expect CF to either overrule both the borders or none of them. Not act differently depending on whether it is a top border or a right border.

Upvote 0
Does the CF format you've used include top & bottom borders?
If I manually format borders & use CF to only change the background fill, then all borders remain.

Upvote 0
Does the CF format you've used include top & bottom borders?
If I manually format borders & use CF to only change the background fill, then all borders remain.

Very good question. The left/right border in CF's border setting was grey, while the top/bottom border was blank. Then I Cleared the border setting, and all four borders became grey. And now CF let both the top/bottom and left/right border remain.

That was exactly what I was trying to do, so you've solved my problem. Thank you, very much :)

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back