Searching in Excel crashing/Flickers

desibouy

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

this has been an on-going issue but now it's getting out of hand. My excel crashes, I can't close it from the taskbar nor can I CTRL, ALT & DEL, so have to power down.

Usually I've got 6-7 spreadsheets open working on a 3 screen setup.
Since last night, I tried a few different ways like closing other apps but nothing worked.

FYI the last few times I've tried -
Closing all except 2 spreadsheets and chrome - that crashed.
Then tried (after powering down) one spreadsheet (with nothing running in background) but that also crashes.
It's not just this spreadsheet, it's random spreadsheets that causes issues but have managed to stay patience.

See Video -
https://imgur.com/a/ehZdOeF

My spreadsheet size is 9MB. Rows 6460.
Laptop Spec - 32GB Ram, 1080 GTX.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I can't explain all the different scenarios you have listed, but in your closing you say that your spreadsheet is 9MB with only 6460 rows. That right there sounds awfully suspicious. I would check for phantom ranges and I would also check the workbook module for unaccounted for code and since it happens with more than one workbook, I would also look at your Personal.xlsb.

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks for your suggestions.

I couldn't ALT + F11, so I guess no modules.

I tried looking for phantom links, I only found 2 connections that were where the file originated from, but those field were long deleted, I'd understand if it populated some fields for the crash or something but that's not the case.

I also tried searching for other links, CTRL + F and ! and only found one v lookup formula but apart from that the file is clean.

I forgot to add, I have another sheet attached with the same amount of rows and a 3rd sheet with 50 rows, so yeah explains the 9mb but that shouldn't cause the crash right?

Upvote 0
Phantom ranges not phantom links...

I still say 9mb does not sound right. I have a sheet with over 250,000 rows and 10 columns and it is only 5.75mb. Go to each sheet and hit CTRL+END and see where Excel thinks the end of the data on that sheet is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Phantom ranges not phantom links...

I still say 9mb does not sound right. I have a sheet with over 250,000 rows and 10 columns and it is only 5.75mb. Go to each sheet and hit CTRL+END and see where Excel thinks the end of the data on that sheet is.

Sorry I don't know what phantom ranges are, I only googled it and found links :(

Anyway I did the CTRL+END and it ended on 6460, on both sheets, and on 50th on sheet 3.

http://prntscr.com/ox31vp - Filesize
http://prntscr.com/ox32vu - Row Count.
http://prntscr.com/ox336b - Row Count.

btw I need to get off right now for the night, so won't be able to reply back. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Good Day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I have no other suggestions. Sorry I could not be any more help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back