exiting array formula evaluation mode

yky

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
To see the evaluation of an array formula, one can highlight the array formula and hit F9. Hitting ESC should exit the evaluation mode and go back to display the array formula. It has happened to me a few times that ESC doesn't show the array formula. I was stuck in the evaluation mode. Any way out?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi,

You can test Ctrl Z

Hope this will help

Upvote 0
I have not experienced that or know what might cause it. If it happens, does clicking the 'X' formula bar button to the left of the formula bar take you back out?

Upvote 0
Ctrl-Z doesn't work. Clicking "X" doesn't work.

OK. Sorry for the misinformation. Undo works to get the array formula back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ctrl Z works for me, but you may need to do it a few times, depending on what other changes you made

Upvote 0
This is how I get into trouble.

Select an array formula or a portion of it, hit F9 to display the evaluation, copy the evaluation, select a cell and paste the evaluation.

This way, when going back to the formula bar, I have found no way of getting the array formula back except doing undo. However, undo erases the pasted evaluation. So, the net result is just a waste of time.

To paste evaluation, after copying, one needs to hit ESC or Ctrl-Z to get the array formula back first and then paste. Otherwise, you either lose the pasted evaluation or the array formula. Can't have both of them at the same time.

Upvote 0
OK, post 1 didn't mention anything about copy - leave cell - paste - return to cell so I certainly thought the issue was a different one. :eek:

In any case, this is the simple solution for you isn't it?
To paste evaluation, after copying, one needs to hit ESC or Ctrl-Z to get the array formula back first and then paste.

Upvote 0
Solution
Yes. Need to make a habit of hitting ESC or Ctrl-Z before pasting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back