EXCEL is changing the formula

SeniorTom

Board Regular
The data I'm tracking is in Column G through DC or DD. I have this array formula that I establish in Column C and it covers my data through Column DY (an overkill to cover my bases). Each month I add 8 or 9 columns to the right of column DC (golf play dates) and remove the same month from Column G Through O. This gives me 12 months of play date information. What I have run across is, as I add and remove the columns, EXCEL adjust the formula and no longer keeps the original right most column. Previous formula went to Column DY

Is there a way to freeze the formula in Column C or can I use VBA to reestablish the original "Array" formula in rows 7 through 101?

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9},F7:DR7)),1,0))
=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9},F101:DR101)),1,0))

Your thought will be appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I'm actually wondering exactly what that formula is doing? Or rather, what your data in columns F, G, H etc is like? Could we have small sample?

In any case, you could try this array formula
=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9},INDEX(7:7,6):INDEX(7:7,122))),1,0))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Attempt using $F$7:$DR$7 and $F$101:$DR$101

Not sure if Excel will change that or not but try it out.

Upvote 0
I'm counting the number of times a person is playing golf (Number) and then I look at the drives (x) to calculate when they are due to drive. The formula counts the plays.

2zSNAPPSNAPP
3zSNAPPx4zSNAPPSNAPP1zSNAPP

<colgroup><col width="107" span="6"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Peter_SSs,

Thanks, the index is holding the address after the adds and deletes, but It takes some figuring out to see the actual range. For the benefit of other users, I would like to show the addresses a little more clearly. Is there a way to index using F7/DY7 type addressing? I've tried but have had no luck.

Thanks again and I will use it as is, if needed.

Regards,
Tom

Upvote 0
I'm counting the number of times a person is playing golf (Number) and then I look at the drives (x) to calculate when they are due to drive. The formula counts the plays.

2zSNAPPSNAPP
3zSNAPPx4zSNAPPSNAPP1zSNAPP

<colgroup><col width="107" span="6"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Ok, so I assume that no cell can contain more than one digit?

Peter_SSs,

Thanks, the index is holding the address after the adds and deletes, but It takes some figuring out to see the actual range. For the benefit of other users, I would like to show the addresses a little more clearly. Is there a way to index using F7/DY7 type addressing? I've tried but have had no luck.

Thanks again and I will use it as is, if needed.

Regards,
Tom
You can use INDIRECT but be aware that this is a volatile function so may slow your sheet if used a lot.

So the formula in C7, also array-entered, would be

{=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9},INDIRECT("F" & ROW(C7)):INDIRECT("DR"&ROW(C7)))),1,0))}

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Peter,

Thanks, I'm using the INDEX for now, it works fine. I will experiment with the INDIRECT as the link seems to discourage its use. I mark the thread as solved.

Again Thanks for your help.

Tom

Upvote 0
Peter,

Thanks, I'm using the INDEX for now, it works fine. I will experiment with the INDIRECT as the link seems to discourage its use. I mark the thread as solved.

Again Thanks for your help.

Tom
You're welcome.
The INDIRECT should be fine unless you have many thousands of them in the sheet and/or a great deal of other calculations going on. Anyway, you have a couple of choices. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back