Vlookup across two different sheets

Garrek

Board Regular
Sorry for the rough title, vlookup might not be the best solution here, but I don't know a better one (that's why I'm here!)

Basically I have values on two sheets, Active and Inactive. On the Active sheet, all values have "Active" In column D, and on the Inactive sheet, all values have "inactive" in column D (creative I know, that's how they're sorted though). In new sheets (Say Sheet3), these values are listed together in a table. How could I write a formula to populate their status (active/inactive) on new sheets? If it was all on one sheet this would be a simple vlookup, but because all the Actives are on one and all the Inactives are on another, I'm a little lost.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, let me know if you need any clarity!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Try something like this:
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Active!A:D,4,0),VLOOKUP(A1,Inactive!A:D,4,0))

Upvote 0
hi joe,
I may be wrong but doesn't that formula need another "leg"? You have test, True but no false? Should it be , Vlookup(A1,Active!A:D,4,0) or am I in fat wrong

Upvote 0
Hi Joe, For years I've been doing Test, true,false with If(Iserror(. I'm gonna try this now. Glad I asked.Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Joe, For years I've been doing Test, true,false with If(Iserror(. I'm gonna try this now. Glad I asked.Thanks
Yes, IFERROR is one of the "newer" functions (introduced with Excel 2007, I believe?), and is nice in that it replaces/shortens the old IF(ISERROR(... methodology.
I predict it will become your new best friend! ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back