Step through a Macro

Fire_Chief

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I just bought the latest version of Excel and I use to be able to step
through my macros with F8. It no longer works.
Also My control buttons don't work.

Has it changed?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
I just bought the latest version of Excel and I use to be able to step
through my macros with F8. It no longer works.
Also My control buttons don't work.

Has it changed?

I'm on the latest version of Excel too, but I don't have this issue. F8 works as it should for me.

Perhaps you need to go into your Settings, and View areas in the VBA Window to ensure things are enabled / Set Up properly?

Upvote 0
I think everything is correct. I now found that if I hole down the fn key and then press the F8 key it will step.
I certainly don't want to do that every time.

Upvote 0
Hi,
when you need to hold down the FN key then it means you are on your laptop stepping through your code and that is normal that you need to use the FN key to be able switch to F8 key.
You should be able to run F8 key on your PC with normal keyboard.

HTH

Upvote 0
I think everything is correct. I now found that if I hole down the fn key and then press the F8 key it will step.
I certainly don't want to do that every time.
I have a Logitech keyboard that had that problem. I found that if you press Fn+Esc (hold down the Function Key, then press the Esc Key, then release them both), it changes the keyboard to a "normal" keyboard and the function keys work as expected. Fn+Esc is a toggle so if you press it again, the keyboard reverts back to the original function key mode.

Upvote 0
I really thought that would do it but it didn't. I have an HP wireless keyboard and mouse.

Upvote 0
I really thought that would do it but it didn't. I have an HP wireless keyboard and mouse.
I cannot believe there isn't a way to do it for your keyboard... try searching online for your brand and particular model and specify something like Function Key Lock or maybe Toggle and see if anyone has posted about this problem for your keyboard. That was how I found out about the keyboard toggle for my keyboard.

Upvote 0
HP was going to send me some info so I might be able to fix it myself. They didn't so I guess they lied to get me off their back.
I will keep trying. Thanks for your help. Will let you know WHEN i find the fix.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back