Lookup Help - 2 Criteria Lookup with the 2nd Criteria being a range - Excel 2016

Johnny Thunder

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello all,

I need help with a lookup and not sure how to achieve this.

My dilemma:

I need a 2 way look done on a row by row basis, similarly how a Vlookup would work except a Vlookup is done on a one criteria method.

Sheet1 = PO Details
Sheet2 = PO database

Row to Enter Formula: Sheet1.Cell (H2)
Criteria To Match 1: Cell Sheet1 (C2) = Vendor Name
Criteria To Match 2: Cell Sheet1 (E2) = Title

Lookup Criteria 1: Sheet2 (C2) = Vendor Name
Lookup Criteria 2: Need to search E2:P2 for Value if it matches Criteria from Criteria 2 (Title)
Return Value: Sheet2 (B2) = Title Category

The main issue that I am having is that sometimes my PO database has 1 line for vendor but that line touches 5 Titles and the titles are displayed in the same row Sheet2.Columns(E:P) but my PO Details may only need to have data from 1 of the titles.

Sheet1 Sample
Vendor NameTitleFormula column
Vendor1Title1*need a formula Here
Vendor2Title2*need a formula Here

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet2 Sample
Title CategoryVendor NamePossible Title1Possible Title 2Possible Title 3
Category1Vendor1Title1
Category2Vendor2Title2Title4Title5

<tbody>
</tbody>

Any help is appreciated. Never done anything like this so I am kinda lost.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
With your sheet 2 sample in A1:E3 and your sheet 1 sample in H1:J3, try this formula in J2
=INDEX(A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$2:$A$3)/($B$2:$B$3=H2)/($C$2:$E$3=I2),1))

Upvote 0
Is it possible to rewrite the formula you presented but tag the sheets to each Range? I am not sure where to link the values in your formula to each corresponding sheet.

I do appreciate the first pass at this though, so thank you!

Upvote 0
Sure,
=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$3)/(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$3=Sheet1!A2)/(Sheet2!$C$2:$E$3=Sheet1!B2),1))

Or a descriptive version, which might be easier to follow

=INDEX(Results-Entire-Column,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(1st Criteria Range)/(1st Criteria Range = 1st Criteria)/(2nd Criteria Range = 2nd Criteria),1))

Records in the data set that don't meet the criteria are eliminated by #DIV/0 errors. You can add more criteria if needed using the same method of /(Range = Criteria)

**Having read the information in post 1 again I'm starting to think that you might have merged cells, if you have then there is potential for the formula to fail **

Upvote 0
Awesome! That worked like a charm.... I still need to really understand how this Aggregate formula syntax works. Someone linked me to a write up but its like reading greek to me.

Upvote 0
If you understand how =SUMPRODUCT((range1 = criteria1)*(range2 = criteria2)*(range3 = criteria3)) works then you are halfway there. The aggregate arrays work in the same way but using division instead of multiplication.

The purpose of this is to create #DIV/0 errors for any rows / columns that don't meet the given criteria.

The 2 numbers at the start of AGGREGATE 15,6 are selected options, 15 is the option for SMALL, 6 is the option to ignore errors and only look at the valid results in the array.

Upvote 0
I do use the Sumproduct method all the time so that reference really helped out. So now that I am half way there, with the 15=Small, what exactly does Small do/mean as opposed to Large?

Upvote 0
Small looks at a list of numbers and evaluates them in the reverse order to Large. As the name suggests, the numbers are ranked from smallest to largest.

Looking at the formula that I provided for you, it is taking ROW(B2:B3) and dividing it by true or false. In theory, I think that you should only ever have 1 row that meets the specified criteria anyway, but if there are multiple rows that match then this would return the first one, the same as VLOOKUP with a FALSE (exact) match.

If you want to use Large with Aggregate, all you need to do is change 15 to 14.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back