Index Match to return 2nd value

Mighty_Mitchell

I've been struggling with this one...

I have a spreadsheet full of data. The table (table named 'EmployeeCheckDatabase') consists of employee names in column A (column named 'EmployeeName') and a date of an employee check in column F (column named 'CheckDate') - column F being the sixth column in my table. The data on the spreadsheet is in order of most recent at the top.

On another spreadsheet within the same workbook I am producing a table which is to be populated by the data table on the above mentioned spreadsheet (EmployeeCheckDatabase).

My table shows the employee names in the first column and then 2 more columns, one for the most recent check date and one for the 2nd recent check date.

To achieve the most recent check date I have used the following formulae:

=INDEX(EmployeeCheckDatabase,MATCH(Lookup value being employee name,Employeename,0)6)

What formula would I use to find the second recent check date?

Thank you in advance :)

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
This is the basic formula,

remember to press CTRL + ALT + ENTER

=INDEX(B1:B6,SMALL(IF(A1:A6=A12,ROW(B1:B6)-ROW(B1)+1),2))

Upvote 0
It sounds like you want an Nth index match where N = 2 in this case!

=INDEX(F:F,SMALL(IF(A:A="employee_name",ROW(A:A)-ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1))+1),2))

Ctrl+Shift+Entered (CSE) - this is an ARRAY formula. The 2 in bold above represents the Nth match

Upvote 0
If you don't want to have to use the Ctrl+Shift+enter confirmation, then you can try

=INDEX(EmployeeCheckDatabase,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Employeename)-ROW(INDEX(Employeename,1))+1)/(Employeename=Lookup value being employee name),2),6)

Upvote 0
It sounds like you want an Nth index match where N = 2 in this case!

=INDEX(F:F,SMALL(IF(A:A="employee_name",ROW(A:A)-ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1))+1),2))

Ctrl+Shift+Entered (CSE) - this is an ARRAY formula. The 2 in bold above represents the Nth match

Thank you so much!
I now have another problem...
In my first formula I added IF(ERROR to the beginning and ,"") to the end so that a blank cell would appear if there had only been one test.
This does not work in the second formula (is this because of the CSE?). Is there a way I can produce a blank cell if no second test date?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Thank you so much!
I now have another problem...
In my first formula I added IF(ERROR to the beginning and ,"") to the end so that a blank cell would appear if there had only been one test.
This does not work in the second formula (is this because of the CSE?). Is there a way I can produce a blank cell if no second test date?

Thank you

Hey, did you re-enter with CSE again? If you manually updated with the nested IFERROR with a regular enter it would have converted the array formula back to a normal formula - every adjustment needs to be CSE

Upvote 0
Hey, did you re-enter with CSE again? If you manually updated with the nested IFERROR with a regular enter it would have converted the array formula back to a normal formula - every adjustment needs to be CSE

Hi, Yes I did CSE (first time I've ever used that!)
The formula is now encase with { and }

See below, the table showing the top 3 employees. Only 1 has been tested twice leaving the top 2 employees with a #NUM !
Since learning the IF(ERROR ….. ,"") this has become a pet hate of mine :)

Date of Previous Spot Check

Result of Previous Spot Check

#NUM !

#NUM !

#NUM !

#NUM !

04/07/2019Fail

<colgroup><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
If you don't want to have to use the Ctrl+Shift+enter confirmation, then you can try

=INDEX(EmployeeCheckDatabase,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Employeename)-ROW(INDEX(Employeename,1))+1)/(Employeename=Lookup value being employee name),2),6)

Fantastic! I was unaware that Nth index match could be performed without array formula :D Nice work Peter! Had a little play with this formula myself

Upvote 0
Hi, Yes I did CSE (first time I've ever used that!)
The formula is now encase with { and }

See below, the table showing the top 3 employees. Only 1 has been tested twice leaving the top 2 employees with a #NUM !
Since learning the IF(ERROR ….. ,"") this has become a pet hate of mine :)

Are you putting it as IF(ERROR ...) or IFERROR? The syntax should be the original formula, prefixed with IFERROR and suffixed with a comma and empty string + closing parenthesis like: IFERROR( *formula goes here* , "")

To summarise: Does your formula look like this:
IFERROR(INDEX(F:F,SMALL(IF(A:A="employee_name",ROW(A:A)-ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1))+1),2)),"")

Where the red font represents the new changes to the formula

Upvote 0
Are you putting it as IF(ERROR ...) or IFERROR? The syntax should be the original formula, prefixed with IFERROR and suffixed with a comma and empty string + closing parenthesis like: IFERROR( *formula goes here* , "")

To summarise: Does your formula look like this:
IFERROR(INDEX(F:F,SMALL(IF(A:A="employee_name",ROW(A:A)-ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1))+1),2)),"")

Where the red font represents the new changes to the formula

It does now!
Thank you :) :) :) :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back