Connectionstring not being set properly by code - query data source not changing

ANDYB0ARDMAN

Hi
I have two excel files stored in Dropbox - one a database that is not opened by users and the other a tool that runs two query tables from the database and is supposed to refresh the query tables on auto_open by setting the connectionstring to the users filepath to find the data source - database file.
Using Query tables is new for me so I'm struggling a bit!
Here's where I am up to at the moment - this runs and then throws an error on the last line.
When I go into query properties I see the data source has not changed.

Code:
Sheets("Table-Data").Select
    Range("a1").Select

Dim username As String
    username = Environ("username")

Dim q As WorkbookQuery
    For Each q In ThisWorkbook.Queries
        Connectionstring = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Users\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Dropbox\Delphy - Reports\Crop Chemical Database;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES;"

Next
ActiveWorkbook.connections("Query - Data (13)").refresh

I've scoured the forums and see references to ADODB.Connection etc but the syntax doesn't work for me.

I'm at a loss and getting frustrated....I don't code very often nowadays and I just need to get this done - everything else works fine.....

All help gratefully received.

Thanks Andy

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You're currently assigning a text value to the variable called Connectionstring. But you do not use that string to update any property of q.

Upvote 0
Given that you are trying to update Querytables and not tables you need a different object than ThisWOrkbook.QUeries:
Code:
Sub UpdateQueryTables()
    Dim Qt As QueryTable
    Dim Sh As Worksheet
    Dim ListObj As ListObject
    For Each Sh In Worksheets
        'For connections which ar ein tables:
        For Each ListObj In Sh.ListObjects
            If ListObj.SourceType = xlSrcExternal Then
                With ListObj.QueryTable
                    .Connection = "Your connection string goes here"
                End With
            End If
        Next
        'For older connections not in a table:
        For Each Qt In Sh.QueryTables
            Qt.Connection = "Your connection string goes here"
        Next
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Jan - evening

Thanks so much for this - I'd just worked out I was refreshing connections and not query tables....was about to pack in for day!

I've copied your code in and it runs - but still got an issue though - not changing the query table data source so still get error message on refresh.

Code:
    Dim username As String

Dim Qt As QueryTable
    Dim Sh As Worksheet
        'For connections which ar ein tables:
                With ListObj.QueryTable
                    .Connection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Users\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Dropbox\Delphy - Reports\Crop Chemical Database\Crop Chemical Database.xlsm;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES;"
                End With
            End If
        Next
            Qt.Connection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Users\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Dropbox\Delphy - Reports\Crop Chemical Database\Crop Chemical Database.xlsm;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES;"
        Next
    Next
ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll

The table is still referencing another location in computers C: Drive rather than the one in the connection string - I've set it up this way to replicate the need for a username driven location.

Any thoughts what i is still an issue?

I really appreciate your time with this.

thanks...........Andy

Upvote 0
Have you actually tried changing the connection manually through the Excel user interface? I see you're using a dropbox folder, maybe Excel doesn't like that?

Upvote 0
Jan - hi

Thanks for coming back to me - sorry for delayed response - was away yesterday.
I've tried the code just working between C: and D: drive on my PC and it still doesnt change the query table data source so evaluates as error again - says cannot find c: drive (where table is pointing now).

Manually changing is no issue - either within C, D or Dropbox - that caught me out as it worked for me but then wouldnt work for another user with different user name in file location path....

Code is now:
Code:
    Dim username As String

Dim Qt As QueryTable
    Dim Sh As Worksheet
        'For connections which are in tables:
                With ListObj.QueryTable
    '                .Connection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Users\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Dropbox\Delphy - Reports\Crop Chemical Database\Crop Chemical Database.xlsm;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES;"
                    .Connection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=D:\Crop Chemical Database\Crop Chemical Database.xlsm;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES;"
                End With

End If
        Next
        '    Qt.Connection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Users\" & Environ("UserName") & "\Dropbox\Delphy - Reports\Crop Chemical Database\Crop Chemical Database.xlsm;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES;"
            Qt.Connection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=D:\Crop Chemical Database\Crop Chemical Database.xlsm;Extended Properties=Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES;"

Next
    Next

ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll
As you can see I deactivated the dropbox string and replaced with local drive string.

There would seem to be no reason why this cannot work but....!

Help very much appreciated.

regards..........Andy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back