Excel dates to automatically set up Outlook tasks

Factotum

Board Regular
A neighbor of mine thinks that I'm an Excel genius (I'm really just average), and asked for some help building a spreadsheet. He keeps track of new hires at his job and meets with them at 30, 60, and 90 days to review their progress on the job. As best I can understand, he wants a spreadsheet where he can enter the employee's hire date and have it calculate the 30, 60, and 90 day marks. That part is easy.

The hard part is that he wants each of those followup dates to transfer to either his Outlook Calendar, or Outlook Tasks to remind him to meet with the employee. I've researched several websites and forums on how to link Excel to Outlook and even some VBA options, but none of them seem to be the answer. One of them was a good idea, but it adds duplicate appointments every time the macro runs.

I don't know if VBA is the answer, or if there are better options. Personally, I would just use custom or conditional formatting and sorting to put people at the top of my Excel list when it was time for an interview, but my neighbor is pretty set on the idea of having the reminders created in Outlook based on the data he inputs into Excel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi
from what I can see Outlook calendar import from excel is based on proper sheet setup header row labels map and creating csv file.

Checkout this thorough video on that process;
https://youtu.be/_RWrNh3kLt8

the next trick will be creating a summary of all dates for easy transfer to Outlook. Can you post some sample data?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions RasGhul. Unfortunately, I don't have any sample data - just a high level explanation of what my neighbor is hoping for. The biggest thing is it sounds like he wants things added to Outook in real time. Everything I've come across so far is how to import an entire spreadsheet into Outlook. My neighbor wants to add rows to the spreadsheet as he hires new people and have his calendar (or Tasks) refresh with the new employees. I'm wondering if he'd be better off to find something in Microsoft Teams or some other program? It just seems a bit cumbersome to do what he's asking.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back