Index not returning array

grifdoogindoggy

I am trying to use an index function to return an array for this function:

=(INDEX(C5:F8,MATCH(H5,B5:B8,0),0))

For context, C5:F8 is a set of values for the B5:B8 set of dates. I'm trying to return a row array of elements indexed off the date.

There is no problem with my match function. I don't have a problem with the index function when I have a value for the column number.

My question is, I thought excel was supposed to return an array when the column number is 0? The excel I am working on is 2010, could this be the problem?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
It does return an array. What are you trying to do with it? If you're using that as part of a larger formula, make sure that it's an array formula (either with Control+Shift+Enter, or in an array-enabled function such as SUMPRODUCT). If you just want to return the values to the sheet, select a 1-row by 4-column range, enter the formula in the formula bar, then confirm with Control+Shift+Enter, and you should see all 4 matching values in the 4 selected cells.

If you want to do something else with the array, let us know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It does return an array. What are you trying to do with it? If you're using that as part of a larger formula, make sure that it's an array formula (either with Control+Shift+Enter, or in an array-enabled function such as SUMPRODUCT). If you just want to return the values to the sheet, select a 1-row by 4-column range, enter the formula in the formula bar, then confirm with Control+Shift+Enter, and you should see all 4 matching values in the 4 selected cells.

If you want to do something else with the array, let us know.

I see, I was not doing anything with it once i created it! Duh.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back