Help with matching by alpha and by number

kate s

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, Excel friends. I am trying to wrap my head around how to match by alpha and by number. I have below an example of what I'm going for.

Example: Meeting group discussions with one group leader for every room number. People assigned to room one with the last name between a-ch will have Wayne Barron as their group leadder. People assigned to room two with last name between d-he will have Urich Elms as their group leader, etc.

I will have about 50 to 75 people assigned with a room. I need a print out so they will know who their group leader will be. I am forced to work with a Excel 10 on client's computer. I'm a novice, so this is a challenge. I tried index match but I'm faced with the alphabetical system they insist on with various length a-ch, mc-rote, etc. I tried doing a helper cell with =length, but I'm a bit at a loss how to proceed.

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated! I can of course split up the a-ch, ci-gi into separate cells and get rid of the dash. I just don't know where to go from there.

Room Barron Elms Johnson Heller
1 a-ch ci-gi go-ma mc-r
2 a-c d-he hi-ma mc-rote
3 a-cra de-he hi-lo lu-r

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Assumptions
- You will have more 'Leader columns' to cover the entire alphabet in your real data
- You will have ensured that the break-up of the alphabet across each row does not exclude any possible names. For example, with your sample, Don Davis or Jan Cryller would have no leader if assigned to room 3 (though my formula would give them a leader. :)

Anyway see if this is any use for you. Post back with examples if you find some that this does not work for (I'm not over-confident that this will have covered all bases :))

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJK
1RoomBarronElmsJohnsonHellerFirst nameLast NameRoomLeader
21a-chci-gigo-mamc-rSimonJones1Johnson
32aa-cd-hehi-mamc-roteAnnAllen3Barron
43a-crade-hehi-lolu-rKenHeavener2aElms
5DonDavis3Barron
6JenRainsford2aHeller
Leader

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Peter - Is this MaGIC ? :)
No, in fact it is wrong as it puts Ahn Go room 1 with leader Elms when it should be Johnson.
Next try is

=LOOKUP(I2&"z",INDEX(B$2:E$4,MATCH(J2,A$2:A$4,0),0),B$1:E$1)

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you so much! I am sitting here just studying your examples. I will test it tonight and report back.

Upvote 0
What does &"z" mean? I am assuming it is a wild card. I can't get it figured out yet, but I'm trying to break down the components. Might be that this is just too advanced for my level. That's okay, I will keep working at it. Thank you!

Upvote 0
What does &"z" mean? I am assuming it is a wild card.
No, it isn't a wild card. It is to avoid the situation identified in post 4 where a last name might happen to exactly equal the characters to the left of the "-" in one of your character ranges. In that example the last name is "Go" and for room 1 you have a character range "go-ma".
Alphabetically "Go" comes before "go-ma" so this person would be assigned to the previous leader. By adding a "z" to their name for the lookup, it becomes "Goz" which alphabetically comes after "go-ma" so they get assigned to the correct leader.

Upvote 0
I've been working for a few hours after work each night trying to sort the spreadsheet I was making. Today I got it to work!!!

Thank you SO much for your help. I kept studying your example and finally I fiddled enough. I just tested and tested and so far it is error free!

I realize I love Excel! I love it more than watching television actually! Working through this has taught me a lot.

Thank you again. I'll post my next question on another thread!

Upvote 0
I've been working for a few hours after work each night trying to sort the spreadsheet I was making. Today I got it to work!!!

Thank you SO much for your help. I kept studying your example and finally I fiddled enough. I just tested and tested and so far it is error free!

I realize I love Excel! I love it more than watching television actually! Working through this has taught me a lot.

Thank you again. I'll post my next question on another thread!
I've been away for a while but I'm glad you got it sorted. :)

You're welcome. And if you want more help with your other question, you would need to give a bit more specific detail about just what you have and what you are trying to achieve, as well as what version of Excel you do have.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back