Using MIN function in column with blanks

oldpup223

Board Regular
I have a scoring sheet that lists scores in a column but never know how many names will be entered and want to find the minimum score in a column with several blanks above the formula

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Which version of Excel are you using

This formula is simplest but it is not available in earlier versions
=MINIFS(C:C,C:C,"<>")

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
A
B
C
D
E
F
100​
10​
=MINIFS(C:C,C:C,"<>")
25​
50​
75​
25​
10​
100​
1100​
27​
100​
59​
77​
Sheet: Sheet4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From your post, I assumed that the you had tried the obvious
=MIN(C:C)

That works for me and ignore blanks. Does it not work for you ?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply. I have several rows with data (E through I) and in the row end in column (L) I have
a +MIN(E5:I5) and that works fine then at the bottom of column (L) I have another =MIN(L5:L105) and that will not work as there are many blanks between row 5 and 105 so either it woll not work because of the blank rows or you cannot use the min statement on a column of generated numbers by the min statement at the end of the rows. thank you for any help you may wish to give.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply. I have several rows with data (E through I) and in the row end in column (L) I have
a +MIN(E5:I5) and that works fine then at the bottom of column (L) I have another =MIN(L5:L105) and that will not work as there are many blanks between row 5 and 105 so either it woll not work because of the blank rows or you cannot use the min statement on a column of generated numbers by the min statement at the end of the rows. thank you for any help you may wish to give

Upvote 0

=MIN(E5:I5) and that works fine then at the bottom of column (L) I have another =MIN(L5:L105) and that will not work as there are many blanks between row 5 and 105 so either it will not work because of the blank rows or you cannot use the min statement on a column of generated numbers by the min statement at the end of the rows. thank you for any help you may wish to give

---End Quote---

Upvote 0
In what way is you formula not working?
Also are the blanks actually blank or do they show 0 as there is nothing in that row?

Upvote 0
yes the cells are blank and after using =min(l5:l105) in cell l106 I just get a blank cell but the formula is still there

Upvote 0
Are you sure that your blanks are actually blank? Rather than contain a 0 that is hidden by formatting, or because you have unchecked "Show a zero in cells that have zero value"?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back