Bring axis to front on excel chart

SledLax

Hi. I've got a chart with several thousand data points (all of which must be plotted). The problem is that the data with a zero value (for either the x or y axis) are being displayed in front of the axis line, whereas I would like it the other way round. Is there some way I can select the axis and "bring to front"? I also want the plotted lines and gridlines to be "in front" of the grey data points.

VTugCAIsd6d45QWvaSQvmcELAw0HBOhwQ7MOOwA9vBXEmwedDOj7lX54p884PiVYl8yOKlZMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I can't think of an easy way to do this, but it is probably possible to do by having 2 versions of your chart, one on top of the other.

Once you've got your basic chart set up how you want, create a copy of it and position it so that it is on top / in front of the original.
In the copy chart, you will need to change some settings.
Format the chart area to have no fill.
Format the plot area to have no fill.
Format the chart data series to have no colour fill.
Then, once you've got it all set up, you might want to group the two charts together to prevent one of them being accidentally moved or re-sized.
I haven't actually done this myself but in principle I think it should work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Gerald.
Thanks for this - and apologies for not responding earlier.
I had wondered whether this might be what I end up having to do. Unfortunately, even when overlaying another chart on top of the original graph, some of the plotted points are still visible as they sit right on the same value as the y-axis.
I had hoped it would be as simple as "bring to front" like you can do in PowerPoint, but for some reason that's not available in Excel.
Thanks anyway for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back