Linking an Excel Snag List to the Comments in a Word File

prephil

Is it possible to link an Excel file to the comments being generated in a Word file? I have a situation at work where we have a Word document that is being used by several different people who are adding comments to it.

One of the guys is using an Excel file to create a snag list of issues based on these Word comments. I can understand why - it is very easy to see all the comments in one place line by line whereas Word is not so easy on the eye in this department, at least not in a way i know of.

So my question is, is it possible to link the Word & Excel files so that any comments that are entered in the Word file are automatically put into the Excel file. Anytime the Word file gets updated, i.e. new comments are added, the Excel file updates automatically also to show these new comments. An additional requirement, although not essential would be to have information like the page number the comment appears on in the Word file, auto arrange comments based on the page number they appear (could be filtered/arranged anyway based on page number), name of person who entered the comment, date of comment....

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Well I've never done it myself so I can't give detailed instructions.
But when I used the search function on this board, using the terms EXCEL, WORD, LINK, FILES, it came up with lots of results, some of these may be helpful to you.

But seriously, consider doing it in just one package, either Excel or Word, not both, and I would definitely use Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back